Another Norte in Galveston

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at and listening to the Coz webcam feeds this morning it seems to me that all you would have to do would be to look at the water and hear the wind to figure that the port would almost certainly be closed.

Brilliant. And then if we happen to be wrong, I'm sure the dive shop won't mind waiting around for us to show up, and won't be thinking of charging us for the dives we didn't do...We need facts not our own judgment.

I would have called or texted my Op for confirmation either way before hiking to the dock.

I would have called or texted my Op for confirmation either way before hiking to the dock.

I like to establish a whatsapp connection with my dive ops. That seems to be more popular there than SMS or email and gets quicker response.

Brilliant. And then if we happen to be wrong, I'm sure the dive shop won't mind waiting around for us to show up, and won't be thinking of charging us for the dives we didn't do...We need facts not our own judgment.
Brilliant, yourself. I just meant that one should not be surprised to find that the port is closed. When waves are crashing onto the rocks and the palm trees are blowing about like they are, that's a real good indication that you won't be diving.

I like to establish a whatsapp connection with my dive ops. That seems to be more popular there than SMS or email and gets quicker response.
Oh, yeah, we call & text on whatsapp.

Yes, it would be nice if the dive op informed it's divers. Nearly all of them have a FB page and it would take less than a minute to post a status update. A personal notification would also be nice but involves more logistical issues. Different divers may prefer different methods of contact (phone/email/text/whatsapp) or have different levels of connectivity. Some have cellular/data all the time, some only hotel wifi. And are you sure they didn't try to notify you and the call/text didn't go through for some reason? As I said, I like to establish a whatsapp connection. I just sent whatsapp to two ops I'm using next week and got quick responses. Now I know I have a quick and easy way to contact them and vice-versa. We have each other as whatsapp contacts with a conversation history.

Roll with it. These kinds of things happen on tropical islands. What great harm was caused? Maybe you could have slept in another hour or two. Maybe you wasted a taxi fare. Go take a morning nap. Eat a nice breakfast. Go shopping. You're still on vacation.

Brilliant, yourself. I just meant that one should not be surprised to find that the port is closed. When waves are crashing onto the rocks and the palm trees are blowing about like they are, that's a real good indication that you won't be diving.

Sometimes the guy with 300+ days on this island has a bit more inside knowledge than a person that's never experienced a Norte here or is here for the first time.

Sometimes the guy with 300+ days on this island has a bit more inside knowledge than a person that's never experienced a Norte here or is here for the first time.
And yet, sometimes I'm clueless. :D

One of the downsides of online notification is the timing lag. This morning is an example I have seen a number of times. Currently the winds are NNW and expected to shift East, past North, around 8. With the port currently closed most PC's in the past have waited till the last minute to reopen it. If it reopened at 815 and the dive shop then sent out a message and then spent an hour or better waiting for the divers to stream in it would 930 or latter for launching. That extra hour or more would then cause those same boats to now be late for use in an afternoon dive and there is usually pent up demand for an afternoon dive directly following a closure.

Still closed as of 7:30. Wind seems to be a bit late changing direction - still coming out of the northwest. Next update expected at 8.

Back
Top Bottom