How To Tie Line to Dive Flag/Buoy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

galodoido

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I just don't log dives
May sound like a dumb question, but what's the standard way to tie these two together? Pictures of your own flags would be helpful too. Moved to FL recently and just bought these.

See attached photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20200221_182706014.jpg
    IMG_20200221_182706014.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 175
Tie any permanent knot. I'd add a swivel though. I don't know how much boating you've done, but I wouldn't use a crab pot bouy. Because it looks exactly like what it is. I would look into @MAKO Spearguns hard or inflatable floats.

I would also want an actual reel. Check out Piranha Dive Mfg. They have inexpensive reels that will work for towing buoys.

Hi @hammet

I don't have a clue to attaching my line to my flag. @tbone1004 says "I would use a swivel and then a bowline for that if it’s permanent. Mine have a swivel and I use a prusik loop so they come off easily" That sounds really great. I use a bunch of half hitches and a glob of Aqua Seal. Works OK for me, have never lost a flag. I would probably follow the suggestion of tbone.

not to nitpick, but a bowline is NOT a permanent knot, and will easily come undone if not under load (like maybe when the flag is floating in no current on a slack line) especially on a polypropylene rope.

Be careful with ANY knot in the polypropylene line. Poly is slick and knots an work themselves loose pretty easy. I'd first tie the knot and then pass the tag end through the line a couple times and feed it into the line it's self if it's a hollow braid.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom