Travel BP&W Setup $500 budget

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The coated webbing stays in place well, with the tradeoff being more difficult to adjust because it is stiffer.

k on about 20lbs of lead when I dive there. So, I'm assuming the AL plate to save weight for travel. That also means I'll need to add a little more weight to make up for the plate weight difference but I won't have to fly with extra weight. So

as I mentioned in my post above these are inexpensive dumpable weight pockets that I use with my BPW. They hold 5 lbs a piece so that gets you to 10 lbs, each trim pouch holds 2-3 lbs a piece so a few trim pouches and those get you to 20 lbs no problem. I use a 35 lb wing and dive 7mm suits in the winter and that combo holds all the weight i need. All your weight does not need to be ditchable, just enough to get you positive.
Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

I use those (the xs scuba pouches). The only thing I don't like about them is that they take up a bunch of space on the harness (storing the weights vertically in the pocket would have been better IMO). Still the best simple pockets out there, use them for my compass and stuff too.

The trim pockets and 30lb wing are out of stock. I think I need the 30lb wing because I will sometimes be diving Bonne Terre mines, 56 degree water, with 7 mill suit and hood. I pack on about 20lbs of lead when I dive there. So, I'm assuming the AL plate to save weight for travel. That also means I'll need to add a little more weight to make up for the plate weight difference but I won't have to fly with extra weight. Sorry wordy. So, 30lb wing AL plate for travel and diving locally in cold water is what I'm going for. I guess my only other question is, are the weight pouches better when diving cold or can trim pockets and weight belt comfortably get me to 20lbs of lead?

Hey Josh. What part of Missouri are you in? I have some extra plates and harnesses you are welcome to try, if you are interested.

DW

as I mentioned in my post above these are inexpensive dumpable weight pockets that I use with my BPW. They hold 5 lbs a piece so that gets you to 10 lbs, each trim pouch holds 2-3 lbs a piece so a few trim pouches and those get you to 20 lbs no problem. I use a 35 lb wing and dive 7mm suits in the winter and that combo holds all the weight i need. All your weight does not need to be ditchable, just enough to get you positive.
Cave Adventurers - XS Scuba Quick-Release Single Weight Pocket - Marianna, Florida USA - Never Undersold!

That sounds like it should work well for me tropical and cold. I appreciate the help...safe diving.

The trim pockets and 30lb wing are out of stock. I think I need the 30lb wing because I will sometimes be diving Bonne Terre mines, 56 degree water, with 7 mill suit and hood. I pack on about 20lbs of lead when I dive there. So, I'm assuming the AL plate to save weight for travel. That also means I'll need to add a little more weight to make up for the plate weight difference but I won't have to fly with extra weight. Sorry wordy. So, 30lb wing AL plate for travel and diving locally in cold water is what I'm going for. I guess my only other question is, are the weight pouches better when diving cold or can trim pockets and weight belt comfortably get me to 20lbs of lead?
Definitely go with the 30 lb wing. I use some old trim pockets I had from before.

Do you have a trip coming up?

Though I have done it multiple times, traveling (as in airline travel) with a hard plate is a PITA. Being two people it is an extra 12 lbs in our luggage. We will be switching to soft plates for travel here soon. There are several mfg making them now. Like the simplicity of the Express Tech Backplate made by Zeagle.

Though I have done it multiple times, traveling (as in airline travel) with a hard plate is a PITA. Being two people it is an extra 12 lbs in our luggage. We will be switching to soft plates for travel here soon. There are several mfg making them now. Like the simplicity of the Express Tech Backplate made by Zeagle.
I used this option:

Seems promising.
I’ll report after first flight on friday

I was under the impression that most AL plates only weigh a couple of pounds making most AL backplate and wings setups weigh 5 to 7 lbs in total. That is one of the reasons reasons I want to purchase one. My current bcd weighs closer to 10 lbs, forget it if it's a little wet still. I like the idea of the soft plate setups but they lack the versatility I may want in the future.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom