Light weight second stages, C370 and...

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

lexvil

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
the C370 is billed as the smallest lightest hi performance second and after diving it I believe it’s one of the better options for cold or warm water, the Regs and their weight
B1F6D70E-307F-4709-8F31-47419D54D1C0.jpeg
62F9538F-E166-4EF7-B720-B0E6806BACEA.jpeg
2AC5F9B3-605E-49E7-9093-252828ACE916.jpeg
7E94F394-47BC-44F7-B027-83259AABB8AC.jpeg
E281A7E6-EB2D-4E20-B8FF-EDA79FFC3842.jpeg
4E5B448F-1047-4A5B-B413-517EDCC351F0.jpeg

Clearly Atomic holds the light/hi performance title, the 555 the light, the the 370 is hi performance and lighter than the titanium core S600.

and now the 555 is a 600
6E83538E-D3C8-4A34-A97C-85983F7A1A59.jpeg

@lexvil out of curiosity do you know what the spec cracking effort is? The manual doesn't say. Cheers.
It looks like I have mine set at about 1.2” as it’s set for bungee’d neckless use, about the same as my D420 but not as responsive to in water use as the D, pretty conventional design and in use more like an S600.

The C makes a good HP companion to the D.

Considering the fact that the 2nd stage is used in water, while it's filled with air, does the dry weight matter? Not to me.
Hmmm, since my main reason for light weight in a second is for travel...

Hmmm, since my main reason for light weight in a second is for travel...

In that case, I wonder if you are using miflex hoses and titanium 1st stages, because that would affect the travel weight far more than an ounce or two in the 2nd stage. Then again, bringing a 4 oz bottle of shampoo rather than an 8 oz would equal the difference between 3 or 4 of the 2nd stages, and maybe bringing a pair of cheap lightweight flip flops instead of nicer heavy ones might equal the difference between 10 of 15 2nd stages, and using a lightweight bag instead of a 10-12 lb suitcase might equal the difference between 100 2nd stages. :D

Point is, trying to actual save luggage weight by choosing a 2nd stage is probably not the most effective way to go about it. Neither from a luggage standpoint or regulator performance.

I routinely travel with 7ft, 5ft, 24", and 18" rubber hoses, 3 metal 2nd stages, 2 brass 1st stages, a metal backplate, canister light (which is the heaviest single item by far) wetsuit, jetfins (also heavy) 2 masks, reels, etc...and I never go over the 50lb weight restrictions for US airlines. The way I do it is by packing minimal clothes and toiletries (so far nobody has complained about my personal hygiene:D) and using a lightweight-but-sturdy duffle with no wheels. Scuba gear outside of computers is pretty tough stuff. Probably the most delicate thing are the masks and they go in plastic boxes that have some rigidity. I carry the computer on the plane, and actually I shouldn't have mentioned the can light because I usually end up carrying that as well due to the battery restrictions in luggage. I don't really understand the rules and apparently neither do the airlines, because I frequently get a different story when I check in.

Sorry, I'm not trying to be contrarian....please go ahead and measure the weight of 2nd stages down to the gram. We don't have anything better to do during the pandemic!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom