Those stiff drysuit neck rings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Customizing the location of the dump valve install is another possibility, if keeping the user replaceable neck seal is a priority.

Customizing the location of the dump valve install is another possibility, if keeping the user replaceable neck seal is a priority.

It’s not. Now I can also get my head up. Had issues with that before, as well. I’m very happy withOUT that accursed neck ring. Suit is so much more comfortable without it.

Soooo how about we stop being internet quarterback here.
Ring is not for everyone. You need the build for it. If it works for you, great and useful tool.

It’s not useful If it prevent you from diving safely.

Oh I forgot it’s SB. Everyone knows better for everyone else.

Alternative suggestions, phrased politely, can still be useful to the thread. See @JackD342's post for an example. @Marie13 has obviously figured out how she likes her gear configured and isn't asking for advice, but others reading this thread might benefit from knowing all their options. I just got a drysuit with the type of seals she hates. So far it seems to be working for me, but I haven't dived in doubles yet. I did rent an identical suit while mine was getting pockets sewn on, and the rental wrist seal completely disintegrated on me; it tore in three places at once while I was taking it off, and not even where I was touching it. Luckily someone else on the boat happened to have spares, or I would've missed out on the second and third dives. I now love the rings and don't want to give them up, so it's good to know what else I can do if I eventually run into the same problem. You can help me out without telling her she's doing it wrong.

Yeah, that occurred to me as a middle option, but there's still a possibility of tearing the neck seal. I'm probably needlessly worried since that one incident; just because it happened within my first 10 drysuit dives doesn't mean it's going to keep happening 10% of the time. But sometimes even when you know your fears are irrational, they can still suck a lot of fun out of things.

I remember installing the neck ring in my Fusion (White's, not aqualung). The neck hole was a bit larger than the ring system. When I was finished, it was ugly, but it held water.

If there is a ring system specifically for Fusion, I imagine it would be large and intrusive on a narrow shouldered body.

Mine is fine as long as it doesn't get trapped by the shoulder straps of my BCD. I don't use doubles, but I have enough mobility to reach all my valves.

I don't see myself removing it anytime soon, but I'm not heartily recommending it to anyone either (unless you're diving "in the bush").

I remember installing the neck ring in my Fusion (White's, not aqualung). The neck hole was a bit larger than the ring system. When I was finished, it was ugly, but it held water.

If there is a ring system specifically for Fusion, I imagine it would be large and intrusive on a narrow shouldered body.

Mine is fine as long as it doesn't get trapped by the shoulder straps of my BCD. I don't use doubles, but I have enough mobility to reach all my valves.

I don't see myself removing it anytime soon, but I'm not heartily recommending it to anyone either (unless you're diving "in the bush").

There are no rings specific to Fusions. They use SiTech products.

I just did my first dive in a new Fusion Aircore drysuit with the 2nd gen neck ring yesterday. I found that it was more difficult to reach the dump valve than in the rental suits without a neck ring that I sampled. It was possible but noticeably harder. I'm not going to give up the convenience of the neck seal yet.

The neck seal didn't leak but I found a small hole near the edge of the silicone on the tag side of the yellow seal ring after the dive. It looks like this is in the area where the metal zipper on my fleece mid layer sits when zipped up. Will have to figure something to prevent that from occurring again. Any suggestions?

I just did my first dive in a new Fusion Aircore drysuit with the 2nd gen neck ring yesterday. I found that it was more difficult to reach the dump valve than in the rental suits without a neck ring that I sampled. It was possible but noticeably harder. I'm not going to give up the convenience of the neck seal yet.

The neck seal didn't leak but I found a small hole near the edge of the silicone on the tag side of the yellow seal ring after the dive. It looks like this is in the area where the metal zipper on my fleece mid layer sits when zipped up. Will have to figure something to prevent that from occurring again. Any suggestions?

Are you sure it was the 2nd gen neck ring? The aqualung site is still showing the 1st gen neck ring, and air core suits being replaced under warranty are being sent out with the 1st gen neck ring installed.

-Z

Back
Top Bottom