Undergarments in warmer waters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Anyone have suggestions for undergarments for water in the 65-75 degree range? I have thicker undergarments that are good for down to 40ish degrees (or at least as far as I have had them). Tried my undergarments in the pool that was heated to 80 degrees and it was far too heavy. Looking for something lighter I can use in the waters where if I wasn't in doubles I'd be in a 3 mm or 5 mm wetsuit.

Doesnt have to be dive-specific, was planning on heading to REI and checking out their thin fleece layers, just wasnt sure what thickness(es) to start with.

It seems that comfort is a very individual thing, and you fall on the cold-tolerant side of the spectrum. The Florida springs/caves are 70-72 F, and a very common undergarment weight is 200-250 g. I wear a Santi BZ200 jumpsuit, for example. Sure, for a short dive, on a sunny day where one can warm up between dives, a 5 mm wetsuit would work, but for 1-hour or longer dives most people go drysuit and substantial undergarment. When I dive in the Mexican caves, and the temperature is more like 76 F, I use the REI fleece baselayer that you mentioned. Just a few degrees makes a difference to me. At 80 F, I'm sure I would be in an Under Armor Heat Gear baselayer and nothing more.

Why not forgo the drysuit and carry a lift bag instead and use as necessary? It will save wear and tear on your drysuit and overall you will probably be more comfortable during your dive.

-Z
Might have to eventually.

I tend to run warm (except in 40F something water). I did 2.5 hours in a 80F pool this past weekend in my drysuit. I had my 250 gram Smart Wool base layer under my drysuit. I was slightly warm.

In low to mid 70’s I’ve used the DUI DuoTherm 150 jumpsuit. I’d probably wear that for short exposures in the high 60’s but really anything cooler than that and I’d be in a work down pair of 4th Element Arctic’s.

These answers are going to be all over the board. I wear Fourth Element Halo 3D at 72°F and Arctic at 77°. This was 2hr dives. I layer a base layer, heated vest, xerotherm and Halo 3D for the cold stuff. 39°F-45°F

Yes, starting to see very quickly there is a VERY broad range of cold tolerance here.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom