Deco regulators

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Its an EU requirement to use the M26 sized DIN instead of the 5/8" BSP DIN for >40%. So you need a special reg and special deco gas valve
Seems to be enforced more by French shops nd fill stations than any other nation unfortunately. Discuss this with your instructor for sure.
I had 40% in my head as well, then pulled it up and it's actually 22 and up.

What I do not understand is if a non-performant regulators will work well at low temperatures and in silty environments. Are cold and particles related problems less dangerous at shallow depth? If so, why?
Performant generally means able to flow dense gas rapidly at low/modest user effort. Dense as in deep, rapidly as in high/panic work load, low effort to promote full lung exchange and thus not build up CO2.

Freezing is a bit separate. Robustness to silt/sand/salt/abuse is separate.

I'm a fan of sealed regs for the robustness to silt/sand/salt, like the Deep6 Signature. But I've not ventured into the deco world yet.

ETA: recent threads:
- Deco regs
- Same reg for O2 and Nitrox above 50%?
- Dive Rite Deco Reg
- O2 cleaning?

I have had one for many years and its one of my favorite deco regs as the positives outweigh the weaknesses.

You say "I have had", so I guess now you have something else. What do you use now? Why not anymore a MK2+R195?

You say "I have had", so I guess now you have something else. What do you use now? Why not anymore a MK2+R195?

"Have had" is present perfect, which implies he currently owns it. If he no longer used one, he might say he "had had" one, meaning he had owned it at one point (past perfect).

English can be weird sometimes.

My understanding is this:
(1) the thread at the cylinder neck, and on the valve, today (ignoring older tanks) is NPS 3/4 or M25x2. They are not compatible.
(2) the thread at the valve outlet is yoke, or 5/8 DIN, or M26x2 (slightly larger than 5/8 DIN, but looks like it).
The purpose of M26 is to prevent high PPO2 gases from being used by the "wrong" reg.

In the EU the M25 MUST be used for the valve-cylinder connection. The British/US/Global NPS 3/4 is not acceptable.
The 5/8 DIN MAY be used for air and trimix. So a regulator might be 5/8 DIN.
The M26 MUST be used for Nitrox (O2>22%). So an O2 regulator MUST be M26.
These are CE standards....but of course some countries (e.g. France and Germany) take them more seriously than others.

You can purchase NPS 3/4 to 5/8 DIN valves, but I don't think you can purchase NPR 3/4 to M26 valves.
You can purchase M25 (inlet) to 5/8 DIN (outlet) valves, and you can purchase M25 to M26 valves.
You can purchase an adaptor to allow 5/8 DIN regs to fit on M26 valves, and you can purchase an adaptor to allow M26 regs to fit 5/8 DIN valves (thus defeating the purpose of the EU regulations...)

References:
https://infostore.saiglobal.com/preview/is/en/2018/i.s.en144-1-2018.pdf?sku=1970846
M26 ?

And good luck to all.

anyhow, it all in EN13949:2003
And in
upload_2020-2-26_14-14-40.png

None of which seem to be available free of charge, like the U.S. CGA regulations. PITA.

As far as I understood, I may start deco deeper. But 21m/70ft is not deep at all.

You may have deeper stops than 70 feet, depending on your profile, but that would likely be on back gas. You are probably not using a separate deco bottle with a regulator for a mix leaner than EAN50 (MOD 70ft).

Sorry for the confusing English.

I still have a mk2 with r195 (I think that's the 2nd stage). I use it frequently. I rarely get it serviced lol. It is very reliable.

Its an EU requirement to use the M26 sized DIN instead of the 5/8" BSP DIN for >40%. So you need a special reg and special deco gas valve
Seems to be enforced more by French shops nd fill stations than any other nation unfortunately. Discuss this with your instructor for sure.

I don't know a single diver here in Sweden who follows that requirement, and the places I know who can fill 40%+ don't follow that either.

Sorry for the confusing English.

I still have a mk2 with r195 (I think that's the 2nd stage). I use it frequently. I rarely get it serviced lol. It is very reliable.

No no, wait... don't be sorry just because I do not understand english well, I should be sorry this time :))
Just to understand better, is it the only set you use? If not, can you compare it with other sets?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom