Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I almost booked flight tickets early in Jan for an April trip to Coron, then backed out the last minute while still on the ticket booking page thinking its too early. Glad I did. Will head in-country to Andamans now. I am not going anywhere until the reports and outlook improves around August for a possible Indo trip.

I cant risk 14 days in quarantine in some godforsaken place with what kind of food and environs who knows?!!

P

We're booked to go to the Red Sea first week of April. From the UK via Turkish Airlines so I have a keen eye on infection numbers in Turkey and Egypt at the moment.

Return tickets from NYC to Manila are $550 with a 2 hour layover in Seoul. I just hope they don't shut out the route before we go.
I am looking at the reverse trip, Manila to Canada return sometime this summer.

My only concern is getting stuck somewhere due to travel restrictions or mandatory quarantine.

I don't see what the panic is about. I saw on the news that the virus is going to go away in April when it gets warmer.

I don't see what the panic is about. I saw on the news that the virus is going to go away in April when it gets warmer.

"Warmer"? That's so funny on so many levels.Pretty warm where we are today.

I catch a cold just about every time I take a long international flight, despite obsessive hand washing, sanitizing my tray table, etc. No long trips for me until this thing blows over.

I catch a cold just about every time I take a long international flight, despite obsessive hand washing, sanitizing my tray table, etc. No long trips for me until this thing blows over.
Well, if you use facemasks, be sure to get N95 respirators (if you still can...), as those paper masks you see everyone wearing in media pictures are next to useless here. They leak air around them badly, and even the N95's have to be fitted to your face correctly to ensure a good seal. The main value here seems to be keeping your hands from touching your nose and mouth, which is by far the greatest portal of entry for disease transmission. Couple that with some sort of glasses or goggles to keep those hands away from your eyes, and that's about all you can do to limit contact transmission, short of a full face shield like us professionals wear during procedures and the like. But even those would not help you with airborne transmission, which Corona appears to be. The N95's seem to be the only practical precaution available, if you can still get them. I like the N95's with an exhale valve in the front of them, as this helps to reduce the breathing effort needed to use these things. I have always hated face masks of any kind, but you do what you have to, I guess. Anyway, that's my 2PSI on a subject which I have constantly had drilled into me during my 45 years as a nurse. (And keep that alcohol hand gel handy! The CDC lists it as the only acceptable alternative to actual hand washing, and be sure to keep rubbing it into your hands until it is completely dry. It is the drying action which is the most bacteriocidal.) Good luck everyone with all of this. Remember my family motto- "NON ILLEGITMUS CARBORUNDUM!" Loosely translated, that means "don't let the bastards grind you down" :thumb:

Grand Cayman just denied a cruise ship entry because they had a sick crew member. The reality is that travel will become more restrictive until this is sorted out.

What if the disease gets more widespread in an area you are traveling to or through. But flights are still going and not a quarantine. Not clear that your trip insurance will reimburse if it can be considered a voluntary choice if you or spouse is not comfortable with going and wants to cancel.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom