Best Days to Travel to the Caribbean?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tips:

1. Travel after labor day oftentimes gets dirt cheap and its after the brats go back to school.
  2. Use a site like cheaptickets, google flights or travelocity and you can use a calendar to see the cheapest days of the week/month
  3. Check the package price on cheaptickets against booking each piece independently, you’ll see you don’t always get the best deal booking it together.
  4. Make sure your passport is valid for whatever the country requires
  5. Go apply for global entry, best $100 I’ve spent traveling all over

Alternative to global entry is download the free Mobile Passport App. You enter all your entry documents and send once you land at the airport. They have a separate line through Customs for those that use this app and I have had at most 8 people in front of me, while the standard line was in the 400+ range. Beat my luggage to the carousel everytime.

Quick note on passports - a common requirement for travel (I've read at times to be allowed to board the plane to go!) is that your current passport have at least 6 months time remaining before expiration - and I think that's as of the end of your trip.

So, if by chance any of your group have a passport that's not quite expired but getting at all close, do not push it!

Take your proof of scuba certification cards with you. For a lot of diving OW will suffice, but occasionally (seems like more of a U.S. thing) an operator may want to see Advanced OW. Someone wanting to dive the deep wrecks out of Key Largo may run into that; I've seen it happen back in 2013.

Someone suggested DEET. You will find that any DEET on you skin when handling gear will melt plastics. A much better alternative is something with 20% picaridin is totally safe around dive gear. Sawyers makes a lotion that makes it easy to get exactly where you want. I also treat a set of clothes with permithrin if I'm going somewhere where there is degnue, chichingunya, etc.

If you do a land-based trip, bring bug spray with DEET; don't mess around with dryer sheets or Avon Skin So Soft or whatever other urban legend mosquito repellant is kicking around these days.

Since the bug repellent topic came up, let's expand on it a little. In Bonaire, I was once in a group at the southern tip of the island attacked by a swarm of tiny gnats, but that was a one time thing in a non-mainstream dive site location. The main Bonaire issue is mosquitos; they're bad to go after people's legs in the evenings when eating outdoors, as it common at restaurants. On a recent trip they came after me when I was near the mangroves at the Margate Bay dive site, and years ago one night I got swarmed at the Windsock dive site for a night dive. Mosquitos aren't usually a big problem for me on Bonaire, but a pump sprayer is my friend. I wasn't bothered in Curacao, but I didn't shore dive there.

I think KathyV has mentioned in other threads Grand Cayman has a mosquito abatement program.

Roatan trip reports often mention 'sand fleas,' some kind of tiny biting arthropods that can make the beach miserable for some people if they don't use effective repellent. Said reports indicate the sand fleas target some people more than others. If laying out on the beach is a big deal for some of your folks, read up on this issue and be diligent about repellent use.

Take your proof of scuba certification cards with you

I have cell phone pics of my cards – both my DM and Nitrox, and it was accepted. :thumb:

Alternative to global entry is download the free Mobile Passport App.

I have that app too but does that get you TSA precheck or do you have to get ½ naked to go through the xray and cavity search? :rofl3:

No pre-check with Mobile Passport, though some airline loyalty programs or credit cards can hook you up with it. Only downside is you'll probably miss out on the adorable bomb-sniffing doggos. Mobile Passport is a good budget alternative for getting through Customs, though; I used it once before getting Global Entry and had forgotten about it.

I love mobile passport. I have GE and Clear and Trusted Traveller but when I can use Mobile Passport that is my first choice.
We have several ongoing mosquito abatement programs in GC. After days of heavy rain or Super Moon high tides we get blooms, but in general the situation is controlled pretty well.

Global Entry averages out to $20 for 5 yrs. If you can;t afford that, you might need to stay home. :wink:

...I am the president of a college dive club, but that doesn't mean this would be like an official club trip. i just have a lot of college friends and some alum who I like to dive with. Going on a trip like this everyone in the group would be divers...

Yeah we are on sort of a college budget, which means on a trip like this we wouldn't want to spend more thank 1500 to 2500 per person. It might seem like a lot for a standard college student to put down on a vacation, but we are also part of a club that can support us financially part of the way.

I should have also mentioned that when you are bringing a group of divers on a trip - sometimes resorts, property rental agencies, liveaboards, and/or dive ops will give you a discounted price (or a couple of free spaces or hotel nights.) IDK the details but it would be worth asking about when you are making enquiries.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom