Is Coronavirus keeping you from booking liveaboard/overseas trips this year?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

trip insurance won't cover any cancellations either by you or the company due to an existing condition... like a pandemic that started before your trip. I looked into it when booking our trip to the Philippines this coming November.

Dive Assure has clauses that allow for this to be covered with a few caveats - you would have had to purchase the policy at least 30 days in advance before it can be in effect and obviously purchased before a travel warning or issue is declared. e.g., if you buy the policy a week before or even after the philippines decides they're not letting anyone in who has been transiting or in hong kong, china, or taiwan in the last 14 days, it won't work because it has been 30 days or you also bought it after it was announced. If the pandemic started before your trip but you purchased the policy ahead of the pandemic being announced by at least 30 days or any of the other travel warnings and restrictions, you would be fine.

I actually think that their terms and conditions on health situations and travel warnings are not specific enough and I think that is a benefit for us and not them. When push comes to shove, exclusions or specific clauses that are specifically stated with good definitions are difficult to argue but the way they have it worded without specific definitions or examples leaves it much in our favor.

I am not in a high risk group and have no underlying conditions which would make me more susceptible or immunocompromised so I am not that worried. I am not concerned about potential quarantine time, but I also have a flexible work situation. There are photos of people in bunny suits on the streets sanitizing sidewalks, etc. Given how the media has been providing a lot of coverage and continual reports, I am sure anything short of this would lead to a lot of pressure from people to ask why their government isn't sending people out in bunny suits and to do more. There is currently a worldwide shortage of masks due to demand. Just because we can't buy it on the shelves even in my home country doesn't mean that it's as big of a problem in my home country - it simply means that there's no inventory due to the worldwide shortage and that if there were any available, they are probably optimizing that inventory where it makes a bigger impact - near "ground zero" and in that geographic region. I'm not saying this is insignificant. I don't think everyone needs to be running around in masks everywhere. Some places, yes, I think precautions should be taken.

There have been reports of people testing positive but being asymptomatic but being carriers of the virus with the concern that people can still transmit it to someone else. People who react mildly to this virus probably aren't getting logged as having it either. I think statistics of fatality rate are skewed and if anything, skewed higher. Is it highly contagious? Yes. However, honestly, I don't think certain countries who say they don't have it actually don't (hello, Indonesia)....which further skews the actual fatality rate. I'm not saying I disagree with everyone who chooses not to travel. It is a personal risk assessment everyone has to make for themselves.

I think the marginal difference of this virus compared to the flu is causing a disproportionate exponential amount of media attention and international attention. I think the "new" and "unknown" makes it scary for many people and I understand that.

I just read that the most recent study out of China indicates that the case fatality ratio for cases outside of Hubei province as of Feb. 14 was just 0.4%. For those cases in Hubei it was 2.9%. It's difficult to know why there is such a huge discrepancy, whether the virus quickly mutated to something less deadly or if the overwhelmed healthcare system in the province played a role - or both. But, with the limited data we have so far and with the likelihood that there are a substantial number of cases out there that are asymptomatic or subclinical, it stands to reason that the true case fatality ratio is significantly less than the 2.3-2.9% range that's been reported.

The bigger issue in terms of travel to places other than China, South Korea, and a few other locations is having plans upended by drastic shifts in local public health policies.

Any vagueness in a legal document always benefits the party with the most and best lawyers. I'll bet you my next two dive trips no one's travel insurance is going to cover this.

Any vagueness in a legal document always benefits the party with the most and best lawyers. I'll bet you my next two dive trips no one's travel insurance is going to cover this.

That's quite a bold and confident statement considering you don't know everyone's travel insurance policies/terms and conditions/coverage. CFAR (Cancel For Any Reason) coverage would cover this. It adds to the premium significantly but it allows you to cancel for any uncovered reason that is outside of the typical travel insurance coverage on the normal policy. It usually has a strict time driven purchase window based on when you first bought your trip or put down a trip deposit.

I'm a little apprehensive about travel, but so far it's the sky high airline tickets that are keeping me from booking. Right now it looks like tickets to Roatan, Honduras are almost exactly double what I paid for the same tickets in 2017.

I hope you guys are right about airline ticket prices dropping because that's not what I'm seeing.

Obviously, it's a little early to be concerned about travel between the US and Honduras being shut down... who knows what the situation will be in June when I plan to go. Maybe I can find a crystal ball for sale on AliExpress.

That would be literally today. Well.. I guess it made landfall a few weeks ago, but it's spreading among people who haven't traveled out of the country now.

Dozens of staffers at Calif. hospital that treated coronavirus patient with no travel to affected countries are being monitored

IMO, it's quite a few weeks early to be booking a flight for June anyway under normal circumstances

Are you sure? I read through a few contracts in my prep for the Philippines and they all mentioned that coverage would not apply to an existing event that had closed off certain areas of travel and had the potential to do the same elsewhere.
If you know of any policy that has an ironclad "for any reason" clause, please send it. I might need it.

Sigh. I had a really good rant but deleted it because it probably would have gotten me booted from the threads.

Did anyone else watch the White House press briefing today?

Well, if it's virus info I guess it might fit into this thread ... or a new thread :)

I just read that the most recent study out of China indicates that the case fatality ratio for cases outside of Hubei province as of Feb. 14 was just 0.4%. For those cases in Hubei it was 2.9%. It's difficult to know why there is such a huge discrepancy, whether the virus quickly mutated to something less deadly or if the overwhelmed healthcare system in the province played a role - or both. But, with the limited data we have so far and with the likelihood that there are a substantial number of cases out there that are asymptomatic or subclinical, it stands to reason that the true case fatality ratio is significantly less than the 2.3-2.9% range that's been reported.

The bigger issue in terms of travel to places other than China, South Korea, and a few other locations is having plans upended by drastic shifts in local public health policies.

Singapore is very interesting to watch. They seem to be (at the moment) doing very well, 'right' behind China, relatively speaking (e.g. South Korea etc):

"This brings the total number of cases here to 96, of which 66 have fully recovered.
The ministry said eight of the 30 patients who are still in hospital are in critical condition in the intensive care unit." source; Coronavirus: 12-year-old RI student and his family member among 3 new confirmed cases in S'pore; 4 others discharged

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...for-coronavirus-containment?srnd=premium-asia

Are you sure? I read through a few contracts in my prep for the Philippines and they all mentioned that coverage would not apply to an existing event that had closed off certain areas of travel and had the potential to do the same elsewhere.
If you know of any policy that has an ironclad "for any reason" clause, please send it. I might need it.

This is just one example with a quick Googling: AIG. Many other travel insurance providers include CFAR. Timing of purchase matters here and you will have to read the fine print of each specific provider/company and policy to determine conditions but the fact is, Coronavirus CAN be covered depending on when you buy/bought it.

My policy with another provider does not specify "potential closures" but the issues/warnings need to be geographically specific. I don't have CFAR, for the record.

Travel News - Coronavirus Advisory

Meh. I like to live on the edge, anyways.

:dance:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom