Tech Shorts

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LanceRiley

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hi im in the market for tech shorts.

a few years back. somebody mentioned a shorts that's NOT really a diving tech shorts but would be a good option.

The shorts im looking for doesn't need to be neoprene. actually i don't want it to be neoprene. i have enough neoprene already to start floating

^This

I tried a pair from Apeks and between pool use and regular dives, they self destructed.

I tried on a pair of Mares tech shorts and didn’t care for the buckle or elastic band.

My first pair of neoprene Highland shorts look brand new, because with out a crotch strap they end up around my ankles and suspenders are not in fashion.

I use and like the DGX pocket shorts. They are way cheaper than the Apeks shorts and build quality is solid, although they are neoprene. You will need 2-3 extra pounds of lead with the shorts. Pockets are nice and roomy and have two metal clips per pocket to be able to clip off SMB’s, reels, etc. I can also fit my entire gopro with small tray and video light (folded in and vertical against tray) and stow all that in the pocket prior to making an ascent to free up my hands. Pockets also have velcro tabs on the outside edges so that they can fold flat and stay to be a bit more streamlined which is nice.

Only complaint is that the fit is a little odd with the way the inseam is designed. They tend to ride high in the front and low on your backside which can make you feel like they are going to fall down below your ankles lol but mine never have! I dive a backplate/wing and the crotch strap eliminates this potential.. they don’t go anywhere. Drawstring is not very useful so you need to carefully size them so that they are snug without needing it. If in between sizes you may be out of luck.

Good luck,

Kyle

Must tie good knot with drawstring because the locking slider doesn’t lock. Agree with 2 pounds extra weight to offset buoyancy.

Got one from xs scuba. It didn't have bungees in them so I did this myself. It has a drawstring and if I got the sizing pretty good so it stays on my hips and thighs. Huge velcro flaps so opening is a bit difficult. Other than that they do their job wel.

Hola amigos.
I had an old surfing shorts, I sew myself a pocket made of an older Quechua pouch, and that Is working just fine (so far).

someone needs to bring back irikonji dive shorts
I was just thinking about those. I remember hearing about them back before I worried about pockets and stuff and now use pockets a lot. Was trying to thinking I could use some pockets that are not attached to a drysuit.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom