Shearwater lifespan

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

dogbone

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
So, I'm looking at getting a new shearwater... Having not had any previously experience, I have no idea what the average lifespan is, what typically fails first, and how much it is to repair outside of warranty... Can anyone here share some stories of how long you have had your devices, how difficult it was too get it fixed when something happened, and so on?

Thanks :) specifically looking for information around perdix and perdix ai

At my previous job we had a couple Predators that were purchased in about 2011 or 2012. Still going strong, only service I have had was a corroded battery spring. Shearwater sent me a new one for free along with some lude for the battery contacts. It was probably di-electric grease, but I'd don't remember any more.

My original Perdix is now 5 years old.
I do around 250 to 300 dives a year.
At about 3 yrs or so (around 1k dives), one of the buttons failed.
Cost me less than $100 to fix, took 5 days including the shipping (service center turned it around in 36 hours).
Also service center is great, customer support is great. Real people who understand diving.
Just search on here, lots of good comments about Shearwater quality.

I'm expecting my NERD to need a battery in about 8 years.

About the only things I hear going bad (and they are fairly rare) are buttons and depth sensors.

About 80 dives a year. Love my Perdix AI. No issue.

I saw that thread, but that's honestly one of the only negative things I have seen about their stuff... So just wanted to see if maybe I missed something lol
I'm not sure it is that negative, I wanted to find out if my experience was unusual. I will give follow up on Teric #2, hopefully, the charm.

I saw that thread, but that's honestly one of the only negative things I have seen about their stuff... So just wanted to see if maybe I missed something lol
And a little misleading - they apparently have had some battery issues on earlier builds that resulted in excessive drain. However, they have folks send them back for service where they basically replace almost everything but the shell - bringing them up to current production standard.

Not too many companies would support their products like this so I have 100% confidence in my Shearwaters. I’ve also had a Perdix AI since 2017 and it’s been flawless!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom