Lost computer Santa Rosa Shallows

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

How many times have we seen divers with consoles leave them dangling and dragging over everything in sight? Clip it off? Why would I do that? :facepalm::shakehead:

This person had a hell of a frog kick though
Dragging.jpg

My gf has her perdix on twin bungees. If it gets away it was meant to be.

Personally I’m fine with my Xp-h ai console. It’s about the size of a spg and always there, no leaving in the room or hunting for it. I like the perdix but every time I think, new computer or Cozumel trip, the trip wins.

Twin bungees

How many times have we seen divers with consoles leave them dangling and dragging over everything in sight? Clip it off? Why would I do that?

Only an idiot doesn't clip his DC to his BC or a retractor. Those who don't end up with one scratched and banged up DC in no time. For me, going with an AI console computer on the hose eliminates lots of potential problems that AI wrist /transmitter set-ups can present:

1: No lost DC - if you lost your DC you lost your entire reg.
2: Only 1 battery to worry about - I've heard some transmitters and their integrated wrist DC's eat through batteries. Yes, I believe the Shearrwater DC uses a standard AA battery but it doesn't last long and you're still screwing around with other batteries for the transmitter.
3: No worries about AI reception problems
4: No costly broken transmitter if the 1st stage gets hit while attached to the tank (which causes some to attach the transmitter to the tank with a short 4"-5" hose)
5: If the transmitter breaks the DC is worthless until you replace it - I can replace my entire AI Oceanic Pro Plus 3 for about what a transmitter costs!
6: Many with transmitters STILL use have a separate analog pressure gauge on a hose (thought the point was to eliminate a hose in the first place)
7: Some wrist DC's have TINY readouts that can be difficult to read.
8: Not all are very user friendly - yes, some have technical dive capabilities, tri-mix gas options, up to 3 tanks per dive and such but what % of divers really need that? The inclusion of all those options makes standard operation that much more confusing/difficult.
9: An expensive AI wrist DC is far more attractive to thieves, far easier to steal, and far easier to lose by the owner.
10: Integrated digital compasses sound great but don't work so well in practice - There's a reason the basic liquid filled compass has stood the test of time - and having one attached to your AI console makes it easy (or you can strap another band around your wrist in addition to the AI wrist DC and have a compass that actually works).
11: Overall cost.

Generally, cost is not an issue for me when I am shopping for dive gear. I performed extensive research, read all the claimed pros and cons associated with AI console and the latest AI wrist DC's. For me, the AI Oceanic Pro Plus 3 made the most sense and later versions that cost far more don't deliver much more in my opinion. I can read mine easily (as well as my dive buddy's from a distance), it is very easy to set, runs on common and cheap disposable Lithium batteries for a LONG TIME and for $475 offers more than I need at a fraction of the price of the latest AI wrist DC's.

It's not my intention to bash AI wrist DC's as they are cool and they look cool but the newest and greatest can come with quite a few potential pitfalls in my opinion.

<Insulting verbage removed but I assure you, I am not an idiot>
Suit yourself, but I am just fine with my basic wrist mounted dive computer. I'm not worried about it falling off my wrist, and I keep track of it just like I keep track of other things that are important to me; it's not that difficult. I don't need a compass on guided boat dives, but I have a couple of fluid filled hiker's compasses that work just fine at depth when I need one. Its readout is big enough to provide me the information I need and it tells me what I need to know during the dive. It doesn't interface with a computer but I quit logging dives many years ago.

DSFDF and YMMV.

Suit yourself, but I am just fine with my basic wrist mounted dive computer. I'm not worried about it falling off my wrist, and I keep track of it just like I keep track of other things that are important to me; it's not that difficult. I don't need a compass on guided boat dives, but I have a couple of fluid filled hiker's compasses that work just fine at depth when I need one. Its readout is big enough to provide me the information I need and it tells me what I need to know during the dive. It doesn't interface with a computer but I quit logging dives many years ago.

My idiot comment was aimed at those with console DC's who let them hang, dangle and drag across the reef. My other comments were regarding the new air integrated wrist DC's that use a transmitter from the 1st stage to relay tank PSI. I've no problem with a basic puck DC in a wristband. I went with an AI console because I'm going to look at my tank's PSI I may as well be looking at NDL and DTR at the same time instead of having to look at 2 pieces of equipment to obtain the information one piece can deliver.

My idiot comment was aimed at those with console DC's who let them hang, dangle and drag across the reef. My other comments were regarding the new air integrated wrist DC's that use a transmitter from the 1st stage to relay tank PSI. I've no problem with a basic puck DC in a wristband. I went with an AI console because I'm going to look at my tank's PSI I may as well be looking at NDL and DTR at the same time instead of having to look at 2 pieces of equipment to obtain the information one piece can deliver.
Thanks for the clarification.

For tropical/recreational diving, I keep a stainless steel carabiner usually clipped onto a chest d-ring. If my perdix is off my wrist it goes onto the carabiner.

It's good for holding my mask strap too... and makes a good tank banger.

Back
Top Bottom