What do you drive?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My last car was totally impractical as a dive wagon, although I still managed to get a twinset, two stages and drysuit in with a bit of careful loading. However, if my buddy wanted a lift it was strictly freediving for us.

Became more sensible a couple of years ago so traded in against a Jaguar E Pace. Boring but practical.
View attachment 570969

If that thing is boring you're not driving it right.

it’s a bit like the earlier AMV8’s; makes a big sound but doesn’t really go that fast :p.

Used to drive a Toyota 4Runner which made a great dive vehicle. The last two years I’ve been driving aSubaru Outback. Easily carries gear for two for the weekend, gets great mileage, and as a bonus is a great winter vehicle.

Attachments

• 9E882CBA-0E25-44C4-BADB-4422BAAC276C.jpeg
    9E882CBA-0E25-44C4-BADB-4422BAAC276C.jpeg
    129 KB · Views: 81
Mazda 3 with the hatchback. I did pick it based on its utility in giving me a place to gear up for shore dives. The removable physical key inside the electronic fob is handy for shore dives too. It is a bit tight in there with two sets of rec dive gear, and it's definitely too small for 3. But my husband doesn't dive, so I mostly drive to the boat or dive site by myself, and this is a great little car for that. I've averaged a little over 28 mpg in the year since I bought it.

I believe he was referring to the E Pace he replaced that Type F with.

I normally don’t dive locally, but my S5 Sportback has enough room for a few tanks and my gear in the hatch - and it got me to my rescue cert pool classes and quarry dives faster than my buddies :)

i-s4vM2xN-L.jpg

Did you buy your last vehicle so you could comfortably carry your dive gear? What is your favorite dive car? Share pictures if you’d like!

Vans and big SUVs are great of course, but I’m looking for something on the smaller side. Recommendations are good too!

My 2014 Ford Focus had 90K miles and was having more of the transmission issues it was well known for in January 2019. Traded it in for a 2018 Ford Escape I got a great deal on. Base model. Love it. I call it the Scuba Sherpa. I wanted to carry dive gear and especially doubles easier than in the Focus, plus more ground clearance for snow. Escape now has just over 27K miles on it. I drive a LOT to dive.

Bought my current car (2016 Skoda Octavia) a couple of months ago.

Other than the usual stuff you'd look for in a car (low mileage , good service history etc) I tried looking for one with a relatively big trunk to fit 2-3 dive gear cases for when I travel with friends long distances.

It rides pretty comfortably with plenty of room in the front & back , the entire back opens up as the trunk so I'm happy about the available space.

I usually get a 1L/16KM consumption when I'm driving regularly.

20200301_015659.jpg
20200301_015641.jpg
20191226_153210.jpg

My 2014 Ford Focus had 90K miles and was having more of the transmission issues it was well known for in January 2019. Traded it in for a 2018 Ford Escape I got a great deal on. Base model. Love it. I call it the Scuba Sherpa. I wanted to carry dive gear and especially doubles easier than in the Focus, plus more ground clearance for snow. Escape now has just over 27K miles on it. I drive a LOT to dive.

After being stranded in the middle of no where 3 times, reaching a dead stop on the left lane of the highway, thousands of dollar spent on repairs and tows, hours upon hours spent in the shop and eventually being told "go **** yourself" in a nice way, i can confidently say I'm never ever going to buy another Ford again.

The Focus was my first and last Ford.

Started with a 2007 Honda Ridgeline. Just sold it (had 163,000 miles and was still going strong) and bought the 2019 model. Back seats fold up to hold bins. Bins also fit in the bed of course but the real beauty is the in-bed trunk that holds our tanks nice and cozy.

After being stranded in the middle of no where 3 times, reaching a dead stop on the left lane of the highway, thousands of dollar spent on repairs and tows, hours upon hours spent in the shop and eventually being told "go **** yourself" in a nice way, i can confidently say I'm never ever going to buy another Ford again.

The Focus was my first and last Ford.

Bitter, bitter, bitter!

Back
Top Bottom