Please help me to identify the model of a Poseidon First Stage & compatibility

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DIRSussex

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
2500 - 4999
Hi,

I've recently been given a pair of Poseidon regulators, one is a seperate first stage, the other a complete unit with a Cyclon second stage, SPG, schrader LP inflator hose and backup second stage.

The regulator that's a complete kit was set to an IP of 13.5 bar. I have readjusted it to 11.5 bar which I believe is now correct. It is fitted with a Cyclon second stage that was probably the original fitment and also a small yellow plastic Sherwood side-vent octopus (that was fitted by a previous owner).

The other first stage I fitted it with a few spare parts from my stock which are a pair of Apeks second stages (TX50 & TX40) an SPG and LP hoses. This one I have set to 9.7 BAR.

Both seem to perform correctly.

My first question is how to identify exactly what model of regulators I have.
Is this simply via the serial number or are there other unique identifying features?

Secondly, have I set these to the correct IP?

Thirdly, apart from commercial reasons, is there any issue with the first & second stage compatibility of these configurations?

Sincerely,

Tony Howard
Tecdivinguk @ yahoo . com
UK

11.5 bar is what the Cyclon 1st stages run as an ip. I’m not sure why a first stage would be set for 13.5 bar. Got photos?

IMG_0319.JPG
IMG_0321.JPG
IMG_0320.JPG
IMG_0318.JPG

3950 and 3720 are the numbers your after. I'm not good with links, but there is a thread on 3950 3960 differences that would help you out.

Both of those first stages are essentially the same, and were used on several reg combinations, to include the Cyklon 3000 and Jetstream / Odin. There is one o-ring difference for when used with a cyklon 2nd stage to function better with the higher ~167psi IP. Based on how you received these regs, and the current IP range, it is likely to have the extra o-ring, but it’s impossible to tell for sure without opening it up.

the actual IP setting can vary with a cyklon and should be set up to perform best at the range of high and low tank pressure.

you should NOT mix cyklon second stages with others that are designed to operate at lower IPs. Even mixing a cyklon and Jetstream second stage is not a good idea. There is even a bulletin on the Poseidon website that warns about this.

Hi,

I've recently been given a pair of Poseidon regulators, one is a seperate first stage, the other a complete unit with a Cyclon second stage, SPG, schrader LP inflator hose and backup second stage.

The regulator that's a complete kit was set to an IP of 13.5 bar. I have readjusted it to 11.5 bar which I believe is now correct. It is fitted with a Cyclon second stage that was probably the original fitment and also a small yellow plastic Sherwood side-vent octopus (that was fitted by a previous owner).

I would also ensure that that Sherwood octopus will function well at the Cyklon's required, rather high IP; and that it is not simply a tacked-on prop, like I have seen with some rigs. Unless it were properly adjusted, it would likely breathe very poorly.

Below, is a "cheat sheet," illustrating Poseidon regulator combinations and their specific parts kits, which may prove useful . . .

Attachments

• Cyklon & Odin Service Kit Cheat Sheet.pdf
    209.8 KB · Views: 467
@Caveagle is there any way you could provide me that bulletin in PM maybe.

I run one of the "tacked on props" that @Bigbella refers to. It is not my secondary, its primary purpose is an OPV. I figured a Cyklon second was a less likely failure point than a cheap OPV.

If I can see reason to go back to a crappy OPV I will.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom