To buy or not to buy new regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Captain Rick

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have a set of Sherwood Oasis regulators from the early 90’s and my wife has a set of Sherwood Oasis regulators from 2000. Both sets have been serviced every year. Our dive shop is telling us we need to get new regs as they are having problems getting parts for overhauling. Both sets are in great shape. Do we need new regulators or are they just trying to sell us new regulators? I am thinking about buying a new second stage for my set as it is quite old, a bit chunky and seen many dives (over 500). What are your thoughts? Thanks Rick

Of course they are trying to sell you new gear. And they may in fact be having a hard time getting factory branded parts.

however, that doesn’t mean your regs cannot be kept functional. It just depends on how much effort you are willing to put into them. I am not to familiar with Sherwood regs, but I do know some older regs have nearly all standard size orings. So it just depends on whether you can find high pressure and low pressure seats for them.

It depends what kind of work they need. If your regs only require basic service these parts kits are absolutely still available. Some of the off script parts such as the old round second stage housing are no longer available. There are a ton of these regs still in use and serviced yearly in my area, many of which are used by PSD teams and commercial harvesters. Not the highest performance regs but bulletproof and very tolerant to cold water.

Unless they are just out of stock for the moment, I am pretty sure service kits are still available. Sherwood supports multiple generations of their items with kits. I would need to see the sets to be certain.
But if any other parts need replacement, then that is more likely to be hit or miss.

If you are replacing a 2nd stage, I would just get a whole new set though.

Northeast Scuba Supply has parts.

What are your thoughts?

My thoughts are you need a new dive shop-not new regulators.

You might find more information in the "Regulator Forum." This is the "Introductions and Greets Forum."

I'm not an expert on Brands. I bought my Mares reg used when certified in 2005. Have no idea how many dives it saw before me. In the last 15 years it has seen 804. I have had it worked up every 2 years or so (used to be every year until someone on SB said 2 years is OK).

I’d get a second opinion.

I’ve been diving Sherwood since 1980, including the one I bought back then. Now that particular regs life is limited because some parts are no longer available, the newer regs shouldn't have that issue.

If you want a new reg, I won’t say no, but don’t let scare tactics by a salesman make up your mind.

And if you do pick up a new reg, the old one will make a good backup. My 1980 Magnum is now on my pony bottle.

Back
Top Bottom