Ikelite Strobes (DS125) works on non-ikelite housings?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

patwa

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi All,

I've got a very newbie question. Can Ikelite strobes (i've got a DS125) be used on non-Ikelite housings? I'm fairly new to this stuff and have always used Ikelite equipment since I got into this hobby, but would like some confirmation on that.

I've got a new camera I need to pair with a housing and want to use my two DS125s with it, but need to know if I need to stick with the Ikelite brand or if there are other options I can also look at.

Thanks!

Zachary

Depends on the housing. My aquatica housing i have a nikonos bulkhead to use my ikelite film strobe ikelite AI. The strobe is 30 years old and works great. Its the bulkhead and the sync cord. If you can get a ikelite bulkhead to attach to your ikelite sync cord it should work.

The Ike strobes need electrical sync. If your new housing has that then no worries. You don't even need an IKE bulkhead there are cables that take Nikonos to Ike .

Bill

Ikelite also has fiber optic converters (Product # 4401.3) - with these, you can use the strobes with any camera/housing combination that has fiber optic output, with the caveat of manual mode only, no TTL.

Just be aware that the TTL for ikelite strobes is in the electronics in the housing so you will be manual flash only if you don't have the ikelite module in the housing.

Just be aware that the TTL for ikelite strobes is in the electronics in the housing so you will be manual flash only if you don't have the ikelite module in the housing.

I made this error :(

I have a Panasonic LX10 w/Ikelite housing combo this type of compact camera does not have a hot shoe. I assume the hot shoe is how the camera connects to the Ikelite TTL bulkhead port, still researching...

My DS125 strobes are trigger by the fiber optic cable but the TTL function of the flash does not work. I adjust the flash intensity on the fly based on the circumstances. Its interesting learning how to use the flashes in manual mode. I take it as a blessing as I'll learn more about the basics of underwater photography.

Back
Top Bottom