Wreck diver killed by leaking computer - UK

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

It was extremely had to read this article. My eyes are still bleeding due to such low level of journalism. However, I read in other forums that it was a very respected and experienced diver, who was diving with rebreather (eact model is not known yet). I am not familiar with rebreather diving and still do not fully understand how everything works, however, I see a pattern... rebreather failures are more common than OC and even small mistakes are not forgiven. I will definitely stick to OC diving.

It was extremely had to read this article. My eyes are still bleeding due to such low level of journalism. However, I read in other forums that it was a very respected and experienced diver, who was diving with rebreather (eact model is not known yet). I am not familiar with rebreather diving and still do not fully understand how everything works, however, I see a pattern... rebreather failures are more common than OC and even small mistakes are not forgiven. I will definitely stick to OC diving.
The Dive forum said it was a JJ CCR

Was the diver in question an experienced CCR diver?

I am not familiar with rebreather diving and still do not fully understand how everything works

This statement and:

rebreather failures are more common than OC and even small mistakes are not forgiven.

This statement don't seem to mesh together too well.

Can you provide some statistics that support this "pattern?" Just because you're not familiar with rebreathers, and see a couple of accident reports does not mean rebreathers are failure-prone, unforgiving death traps.

I'm not a rebreather diver, but my understanding is CCRs are able to be manually operated safely following any number of potential failures. How many failures can your OC kit operate beyond, with user input?

The problem with CCRs is that there are modes in which they can fail without the diver noticing if he isn't paying attention, so that he has plenty of gas to breath which isn't capable of sustaining life.

There's been some debate on the other thread about whether the solo board (?) on a jj can run the solenoid in the even of primary failure.

I
They are mixing up controller with handset aka monitor. You can't run two controllers at the same time

I don’t understand the statement, if the unit kept a PPO2 of 0.7 then everything should have been fine ?

The controller is in the handset not the head. So once it flooded, the solenoid no longer functioned.

This is EXACTLY why all the fancy CCR failure "options" you read about here and in other forums are so dangerous and misleading. Going semi-closed and other such talk is never your first choice. He needed to stop thinking he could handle the problem and just bail out.

They are mixing up controller with handset aka monitor. You can't run two controllers at the same time

The controller is in the handset not the head. So once it flooded, the solenoid no longer functioned.

This is EXACTLY why all the fancy CCR failure "options" you read about here and in other forums are so dangerous and misleading. Going semi-closed and other such talk is never your first choice. He needed to stop thinking he could handle the problem and just bail out.
Since he was at 6m for his deco, there was literally no danger or cost to bailout, isn’t it ?

(not saying that this was the cause of death, only running a hypothetical scenario)

Sounds like it eventually died completely though at which point the loop would go hypoxic if it wasn't caught and then maintained manually
Roughly yes, and sadly his buddies were not there.
Hard to imagine the need to stay on the loop at all that early in a wreck dive with no delay, entanglements etc on the bottom. Just bail out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom