What is your favorite of all time regulator?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Since 1970 I have had a few. I still have my original SP MKV and it works, but I do not use it any more. In between then and now I have had quite a few USD, SubAquatics, Mares, Atomic Aquatics and Poseidon. At work I dive a SP MK11 with a S600 mounted on a SP full face mask which is OK. I use it mostly because for long duration dives I like the FFM. When I sport dive it is always with a Metal Cyklon 5000. Since diving the Cyklon 300 and Odin way back I have stayed with Poseidon and now that I dive a lot more recreationally I really prefer them.

Poseidon%20Cyklon-L.jpg

IMG_0619-L.jpg

Three categories for me:
1) Vintage: SP MK5 + 109 (converted to balanced with S-wing poppet, of course).
2) Classic: SP MK10 + G250
3) Modern: SP MK19 + G260

My choice was not based on best breathing but considering all aspects, for example ease of servicing, robustness, reliability, the need for speciality tools, ease of getting kits etc.

Really? Oh man, when looking at the specialty tools required for ScubaPro regs at DEMA, I was blown away how many were needed compared to others.

When I sport dive it is always with a Metal Cyklon 5000. Since diving the Cyklon 300 and Odin way back I have stayed with Poseidon and now that I dive a lot more recreationally I really prefer them.

Same here. I'm a Cyklon fanatic I suppose! The hoses are a pain, but she's still my favorite breather.

Really? Oh man, when looking at the specialty tools required for ScubaPro regs at DEMA, I was blown away how many were needed compared to others.
Perhaps for the new ones.
My six 109 do not require any special tool.
And my four MK5 require only one tool, not particularly special, for unscrewing the two parts of the body.
I had this tool in the set of irons of one of my vintage motorbikes, for rotating the spring retainers of rear shock absorbers.

Scubapro is a well established company that has been around for over 50 years and has had many, many different regulator models over these decades, a lot more than other manufactures. If you look at it as an end user with one or two models, the specialized tools required won't be that many. I have looked at how many tools I needed to service all current SP regulators that are specific to SP, not really that many more than most other big companies with many models in their regulator line.

My most responded to comment ever!

Compared to pretty much to all other manufacturers. I don't remember the company (scuba tools?), but Apeks, Atomic, and others. There were about 5 companies shown with the tools required.

And yes, I like to service my own as LDSs have screwed up my regs a number of times.

Given that I don't service SP regs (almost done selling all the ones I had), I cannot confirm or deny the number of tools required for the MK25 Evo with S600/G260.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom