PT-059 leaking

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

An update.

I sent the leaking housing to Olympus. At first they said the housing was no longer under warranty. I protested and they have now agreed to do a warranty repair.

I'll get back the "repaired" housing in a week or two. I'll take it diving and see if the "repair" is successful.

Jim

Did they tell you what they found?

I have the same housing, about 40 dives on it since I got it 10 mos ago, and at the end of this trip I found it fogged and leaked a bit when I was cleaning gear. :(

I had two Olympus housings, both for the original Tough series, first one returned on warranty for leakage at the shutter button, the second one I sorta fixed myself, they both leaked and fogged. I also had two Canon OEM housings, one for the A570, it leaked until I removed flashing from the O-ring seal area, the one I got for my S90 leaked from various buttons after five dives. I gave up and bought aluminum housings thereafter, FIX90 for the S90. Hopefully I was just unlucky but I have virtually no confidence in the OEM blow molded polycarbonate housings, they are just not precision equipment. Just me probably.

N

Did they tell you what they found?

I have the same housing, about 40 dives on it since I got it 10 mos ago, and at the end of this trip I found it fogged and leaked a bit when I was cleaning gear. :(

Olympus America didn't say if they found anything, just that the housing was serviced and pressure tested. I'm sure they didn't press all of the buttons under pressure to really test it. I'll have to wait until I get the opportunity to get back in the water.

Olympus America didn't say if they found anything, just that the housing was serviced and pressure tested. I'm sure they didn't press all of the buttons under pressure to really test it. I'll have to wait until I get the opportunity to get back in the water.

You don't have to wait, test it in a bucket - o-rings are more likely to leak when lightly loaded. It's the water pressure which pushes on them to provide the seal.

Any chance it’s the o ring itself and a new o ring would solve the issue? Interested in the outcome as mr ooo has an oly housing for his TG5

It's not the housing gasket (aka big o-ring). More likely, one of the little o-rings on heavily used buttons like the shutter or zoom are leaking.

It's not the housing gasket (aka big o-ring). More likely, one of the little o-rings on heavily used buttons like the shutter or zoom are leaking.

How did you determine it wasn't the big O ring? Just trying to decide how I'll proceed. :)

Cleaned and replaced, no change.

Ah ok. I was wondering if the O ring could be compressed, which would mean it would still leak after a cleaning. I am trying the clean, lube, and replace thing now and hope that it fixes my leak.

Edit: It looks like after lubing and replacing the big O ring it's not leaking anymore. Fingers crossed. I didn't find anything that looked amiss when I examined the O ring.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom