Bonaire locals hate iguanas?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rayaa3

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Hey just curious if anyone has first hand knowledge of why locals have such contempt for iguanas?

I've seen native islanders as well as dutch seasonal residents that go to, at times cruel lengths to either remove or kill them.

In florida they are invasive and everywhere so I get it.

Here there are relatively few by comparison.

This is an island where donkeys and on this trip goats roam the island free and unmolested (and some even stop and leave roadside meals for the donkeys)

However the Iguanas dont enjoy that same level of kindness.

On another note, been here days and not seen a single donkey, but goats on every outing. That's a new site for us. Previous trips were in sept and oct, maybe they are released seasonally. Or maybe someone lost a fence.

They eat them in Curacao, they are a little bony, but otherwise yummy.

Also they make quite the mess when they evacuate..

The local guy who came and stomped it, maybe the plan was to cook it (as my wife verbally assaulted him when he had it pinned, forcing a release - we will never know). I dont think that's it for the seasonal dutch residents that own condos in hamlet oasis that seem to be put off by them

They eat them in Curacao, they are a little bony, but otherwise yummy.

Also they make quite the mess when they evacuate..

They eat them in Bonaire, too.

The one time I met Captain Don, he rolled down from his plant nursery near Lagun in his wheelchair and .22 rifle in a scabbard at his side. He'd been out shooting iguanas in a (probably) vain attempt to reduce the damage they were doing to his plants. He wanted to give a couple of dead ones to his long time companion to cook She declined, saying the meat was not worth the effort it took to skin them.

I don't agree with animal cruelty, but invasive species can become a nuisance pretty quick.
Don't know about Bonaire but iguanas in South Florida are a huge PITA. Anyone with a seawall, pool and/or flowers in their property knows first hand how damaging they can be.
If they are as bad in Bonaire, I don't blame the locals for wanting to get rid of them, but there are swift ways to deal with the issue , no need to waste time or be cruel.

Perhaps someone should ask a local resident. While certain practices may seem harsh and at odds with our standards, something about glass houses comes to mind.

This is an island where donkeys and on this trip goats roam the island free and unmolested (and some even stop and leave roadside meals for the donkeys)

I doubt locals do: attracting donkeys to roadside is about as smart as attracting deer. Or roos, but those don't need to extra incentive, unfortunately. And people at donkey sanctuary will tell you, too, if you bother to visit.

Years ago, a friend of mine caught ringworm from petting a donkey on St. John's (near St. Maarten)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom