what do you wear under your wetsuit?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

TYR hexa square swimshorts. way better than having board shorts all bunched up under the wetsuit, and slightly less revealing than a classic speedo. I'll throw on some board shorts over top while out of the wetsuit.
Same here.

A problem I have with that though is hygiene - having a piss-soaked swim jammer clinging to my skin the whole day..

I would love to find out what my family's "official" Tartan is. The most we have is a black and white photo of my great, great grandfather in Hawick, Scotland with his kilt laying on a stone bench next to him (yes, he had already changed into his hunting outfit :) ). One of my brothers tried sketching the pattern and he did a pretty good job, but as to the colors, who knows? The sites where you put in your family name and they spit out a pattern/color are worthless.
Tartans were originally created by individual weavers and so are linked only to a region, not a clan. Both the idea and first examples of clan tartans were created as part of the Romantic Period idealization of folk societies. Interestingly, most of them were first published in an outright forgery Vestiarium Scoticum - Wikipedia which, while immediately recognized as fake, were still adopted as "official" clan standards.

Your best bet on your ggg's tartan probably be a visit (or maybe an e-mail would suffice) to a Hawick historical society to see if there are any paintings or fabrics of that era that match the pattern on your photo. However, it looks like Hawick was a textile center, so there were probably multiple tartans to choose from.

More on the history of the kilt and tartans at True Kilts: Debunking the Myths About Highlanders and Clan Tartans | Collectors Weekly

If you want to see the modern tartans associated with Hawick: Search Results - The Scottish Register of Tartans

Your best bet on your ggg's tartan probably be a visit (or maybe an e-mail would suffice) to a Hawick historical society to see if there are any paintings or fabrics of that era that match the pattern on your photo. However, it looks like Hawick was a textile center, so there were probably multiple tartans to choose from.

Appreciate the info @lowwall ! I have not, but my late father went to Hawick back in the 70's and found the family home. When he and my mom walked into the Historical Society there they were greeted by a life-size portrait in the entrance of great great grandad. Come to find out he owned the largest woolen mill in the region. Unfortunately, he was dressed in his hunting attire with his hunting dogs standing by his side, not in his kilt. It's on my list of places to get to before going to that big reef in the sky... :)

Same here.

A problem I have with that though is hygiene - having a piss-soaked swim jammer clinging to my skin the whole day..
Consider the "hose" I use (not "attached"). For details search the "pee" threads.

I usually wear a competition suit - 1 or 2 piece (I find that it doesn't fall off when I take the top of my wetsuit down. I have been wearing a rash guard lately but I also have a full dive skin for when water is a bit cooler

I grew up as a swimmer, we wore competition swimsuits and I still do. And I still swim. Swimmers did not stand around gawking at one another and really, neither do divers. We are too busy setting our gear up, setting up our cameras or checking our buddy to notice what you have on or do not have on. I would probably refrain from going naked though. One poor fellow, thought to do so in his wetsuit and thanks to some waves fell down while trying to wrap a towel around his otherwise naked body while getting out of his rubber blubber. He went slipping, sliding and spinning across the deck much to all's amusement. The water was cold that day. N

HA!!!!! speak for yourself :p I grew up as a competition swimmer and I always enjoyed "gawking" ---- I just love that V shape of a male swimmer Oh Oh OH -- you meant swim wear LOL j/k

Back
Top Bottom