Apeks rebuild options

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I get charged $150+ To get my first and second stage rebuilt. I read this is because apeks locks down the parts to dealers only. Is a dealer my only option? I’m good for it in my tech setup, but for classes I need something more affordable that I can rebuild myself. What are my best options?
Apeks regs are dead simple to rebuild/service. It is NOT rocket science.
The only "special tool" is the C spanner(hook).

The above statement does not apply to MTX and XL4

Not sure if you're playing or not, didn't know Apeks offered that rip off, I mean "deal".
How is it a rip off? What's your problem with a manufacturer of life support equipment wanting the equipment to be serviced by authorized centers? It sounds like they hammered the labor cost to the OP. He could have shipped both ways to me and I'd be cheaper than that. (An authorized center)

How is it a rip off? What's your problem with a manufacturer of life support equipment wanting the equipment to be serviced by authorized centers? It sounds like they hammered the labor cost to the OP. He could have shipped both ways to me and I'd be cheaper than that. (An authorized center)
Rip off because the service kits cost peanuts compared to annual service needed to maintain most “parts for free” deals. Most people on these forums know a reg can go 3-5 years (and sometimes longer) without needing service, thus saving $500-1000+ in service cost compared to couple hundred (and I’m being generous with this estimate) in “free” service kits over same time span. And the “life support” scare tactics don’t work so well on Scubaboard.

IP was steady but decided to go ahead with the full service anyway.
This 22yrs old work horse, DS4 + TX50, has been trouble free from day one. The only part that I have to replace was the exhaust diaphragm after about 20yrs.

I do not dive locally and will have to wait until Philippines and Thailand open their doors to us again!!!

Apeks regs are dead simple to rebuild/service. It is NOT rocket science.
The only "special tool" is the C spanner(hook).

The above statement does not apply to MTX and XL4
I've serviced most other Apeks regs, but a friend has an XL4.
I had a look on another thread about special tools, but is there a 'work around'?
Does the front face plate of the 2nd stage need a tool?

Thanks for your help - it's part of my 4 week lockdown to-do list :D

Are you the original owner? Apeks has the parts for life program as long as you keep up with the inspections and rebuilds. I just had a yearly service done on my double setup (2 first and 2 second stages) for $100 but I am in the parts for life thing.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom