First trip alone, no wife, no kids

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thomas Kent

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Well, I pulled the trigger, taking my first vacation alone during my 17 years of marriage! No wife or 3 daughters... going to be interesting. Staying at SCUBA Club Cozumel, I’ve always wanted to stay there. Wife and I have walked by numerous times while traveling to the island! She just doesn’t dive anymore.

One day I hope one of my daughters will come with me. The little one just turned 11 and really wants to get her junior certification. That way I can have a buddy for shore diving.

Super excited, May can’t come soon enough. Thanks for reading...just had to tell somebody that I know would appreciate it

Tom

Safe travels! You'll have an amazing time. Been there twice and wish we could go again this year!

I do a mix of vacations; sometimes wife and kiddo (and sometimes mother-in-law) with me, sometimes solo. These tend to be different kinds of trips. With the non-divers, I don't dive as much and choose destinations with more topside entertainments. These create special family memories.

When solo, I go to dive. Not do land tours (though if it's part of the package that's great, and they do add something - especially in the Galapagos, but also Belize), dive! And I get more diving in.

My wife likes to take the occasional 'girls' road trip' for a few days to Panama City Beach or similar with an old high school buddy, hand at an ocean front hotel, stare at the ocean, yak and mosey around 'piddling' and going here and there kinda randomly. No researching or planning, etc... Which would drive me insane.

Best of both worlds.

I do a mix of vacations; sometimes wife and kiddo (and sometimes mother-in-law) with me, sometimes solo. These tend to be different kinds of trips. With the non-divers, I don't dive as much and choose destinations with more topside entertainments. These create special family memories.

When solo, I go to dive. Not do land tours (though if it's part of the package that's great, and they do add something - especially in the Galapagos, but also Belize), dive! And I get more diving in.

My wife likes to take the occasional 'girls' road trip' for a few days to Panama City Beach or similar with an old high school buddy, hand at an ocean front hotel, stare at the ocean, yak and mosey around 'piddling' and going here and there kinda randomly. No researching or planning, etc... Which would drive me insane.

Best of both worlds.
I'd love to see your "Panama City Beach research notes" thread, hahaha.

Well, I pulled the trigger, taking my first vacation alone during my 17 years of marriage! No wife or 3 daughters... going to be interesting. Staying at SCUBA Club Cozumel, I’ve always wanted to stay there. Wife and I have walked by numerous times while traveling to the island! She just doesn’t dive anymore.

One day I hope one of my daughters will come with me. The little one just turned 11 and really wants to get her junior certification. That way I can have a buddy for shore diving.

Super excited, May can’t come soon enough. Thanks for reading...just had to tell somebody that I know would appreciate it

Tom
Was there a few weeks ago. There were a few people there alone, and they quickly became friends with people...like our group! Easy to do at meals, and on the dive boats. Have fun!

I do one solo trip per year, am blessed with a husband whose love and support and generosity of spirit is endless. We do one or two dive trips together per year.

Trips together are better in every respect, but I also adore my solo trips. I view them as a mixture of a diving boot camp and a mindfulness retreat. After diving is over for the day, I take off my watch and eat, swim, read whenever I feel like it.

Enjoy your trip !

After diving is over for the day, I take off my watch and eat, swim, read whenever I feel like it.
After I get us checked in and moved into our hotel room, there is The Ceremonial Removal Of The Watch. The dive boat departure time is the only time I need to know, and the clock in the room tells me that; otherwise watching the sun is accurate enough.

Super excited for you! I took a solo trip to Cozumel for the first time last year (with my LDS and some friends) and had a great time! You'll enjoy it!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom