Anyone going to DEMA - Please Grill Suunto on Eon Firmware

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

With your other wishlist item, to turn manually on on the surface, what do you mean? Start the dive prior to when the sensor would? What is the advantage?

My desire is for a manual off or sleep. Like you I've had my Eon's stay on and fully drain the battery, either over night or if put in a cool box with damp gloves in a hot car. It's a peculiarity certainly in the Middle East, where humidity can keep the sensor on. I't often exasperated by minute salt residue on the sensor becoming damp which is enough to keep the computer on

The solution is to clean the water sensor regularly (I do once a month) with a little tooth paste on a brush, and then post dive give it a fresh water rinse, blow the water out that sits between the sensor and case, and dry it. It sound more complex than it it. but a manual button press to turn it off would be great. OR a simple time out, it its in Surface interval for say more than 15 mins

I always press a button on my computers before I dive to confirm they are on, but otherwise like others the pressure sensor signal at 1.2m/4' is good enough.

It’s also for updates. Look at it kind of like your iphone. Yes glitches are present in any operating system. You can operate your iPhone or dive computer or a personal laptop/desktop with its current system. However would you like to still be using windows 6?

If you bought a high end laptop and did not receive operating system upgrades you would feel left out.

My point here.

What update would you like what functionality doe the Eon not have (apart from dual gas - but the Perdix implementation of this is flawed)

IIRC @JackD342 will, I hope correct me or add to this

( month after Launch we had the first major firmware upgrade - which gave us different menu functionality. It was followed a week later with the New Upgrade to fix the bugs in the first

Major 2 was to give the Eon Steel the same screen layout option of the Core and some minor fixes

Even the algorithm change isn't really going to do much as I doubt you'll be able to swap mid dive (with the computer having the processor power to run both)

The OSTC 4 runs Bultmann and VBM concurrently so if you're really in the poo you can swap to VBM mid dive. Its only the Germanic nature of OSTC which stops me having one

And yes, I'm quite happy with Windows 7 pro. Having to migrate to Win 10 is costing me $$

Suunto's issue as far as I can tell, is the management of customers expectations, in that they made a big announcement and then delayed it for almost 1 year

I see they did some dive log improvements and added RGBM2. I hope they added in the log, start and end time of dive, temperature, max depth, start and end pressure of your tank.

One of the reasons I went to a Perdix.

Glenn

My eon core has always logged that...

I think they made this easier to view on the Eon Core itself, it has definitely always been logged. Personally I download to MacDive on my iPhone and view all my dives there and never use the log screen on the core.

The firmware update via Suunto link from my PC took quite a while a while, around 15 minutes or so.

I guess I never saw the start and end times on the app. Also never saw it on my Eon core. But if you guys say it was there, I believe you.

I am currently on the road on a job. When I get back home I will update and see if the latest dives my wife did at Curacao have all the start, end time of dive, max depth and temp. I use the Suunto app on my iPad. I don’t use on my laptop.

Again all that info on the shearwater app is readily seen.

Glenn

All:
I just went to my moves count and the Suunto app on my iPad. As I stated previously, I do not use my laptop so what I am seeing may be different. But here is what I currently see prior to the latest update on my Eon core.

Moves Count:
Max depth of the dive
Total dive time
Surface time
Do not see:
Time you entered the water
Time you ended the dive
Tank pressure beginning
Tank pressure ending

There is a graph showing temperature but not air, just water temp.

Suunto App shown:
Depth (max)
Temperature (water only)
Time of dive entry
Tank pressure at beginning of dive

Suunto app not shown:
Total dive time
Air temp
Dive end time
Tank pressure ending

I do not have my Eon core with me, however I was never able to pull up start time of the dive, end time of the dive, air temperature. Start and ending pressures. I keep a manual log book and those items are listed. As such it has been a hassle trying to get all that information from the eon core.

Using the Perdix it is easily accessible both in the computer and the app.

So I am hoping the update addresses the issues I listed above. Still not going back to my Eon core as my wife uses it now but it would be nice, so when we are logging our dives the information is readily seen, both on the eon core and the Suunto and moves count apps.

Glenn

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom