Warning to Teric owners, check the tightness of the lug screws

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Henry J Cat

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Shearwater Teric Dive Computer - Black
Model EU

Purchased January 2020 in UK

Problem occurred on the 6th dive of this new computer's life.

Diving the Red Sea by Sharm el Sheikh, water temperature 24°C, air temperature 27°C, max depth 30m, max dive time 60min.

A lug screw was lost and the lug pin detached from one side of the strap. Fortunately, the lug pin did not completely fall out otherwise the computer would have been lost. It is only because the diver had the strap tight that the lug pin did not completely detach. It is only because the diver inspects their equipment before and after every dive that the problem was spotted.

On inspection I found the remaining lug screw and pin to also be loose. It would only be a matter of time before that assembly also separated.

I cannot imagine what conversation I would be having now with Shearwater if that computer had been lost. It would be a tough one to establish liability for "dropped" dive equipment, however, in this case the fault rests with the supplier and manufacturer.

I am furious that I have been exposed to this risk. It is unacceptable that Shearwater's neglect to properly assemble the unit potentially could have cost me the price of the computer. I am concerned that other divers have lost their computers, and their £1,000, because of Shearwater's poor workmanship.

I have used the spare lug pin supplied to reassemble the strap and tightened both pins appropriately.

I advise all Teric owners to immediately check the tightness of the lug pins and screws.

Shearwater Teric Dive Computer - Black
Model EU

Purchased January 2020 in UK

Problem occurred on the 6th dive of this new computer's life.

Diving the Red Sea by Sharm el Sheikh, water temperature 24°C, air temperature 27°C, max depth 30m, max dive time 60min.

A lug screw was lost and the lug pin detached from one side of the strap. Fortunately, the lug pin did not completely fall out otherwise the computer would have been lost. It is only because the diver had the strap tight that the lug pin did not completely detach. It is only because the diver inspects their equipment before and after every dive that the problem was spotted.

On inspection I found the remaining lug screw and pin to also be loose. It would only be a matter of time before that assembly also separated.

I cannot imagine what conversation I would be having now with Shearwater if that computer had been lost. It would be a tough one to establish liability for "dropped" dive equipment, however, in this case the fault rests with the supplier and manufacturer.

I am furious that I have been exposed to this risk. It is unacceptable that Shearwater's neglect to properly assemble the unit potentially could have cost me the price of the computer. I am concerned that other divers have lost their computers, and their £1,000, because of Shearwater's poor workmanship.

I have used the spare lug pin supplied to reassemble the strap and tightened both pins appropriately.

I advise all Teric owners to immediately check the tightness of the lug pins and screws.
Hey, you have some share in this responsibility, if not the major share. Check your equipment before you dive! Put a NATO/ZULU strap on the computer and get some extra security.

Shearwater's poor workmanship.

While I agree that this shouldn't have happened, I think referring to SW's "poor workmanship" is a little much. The quality of their products and their level of customer service are legendary.

I also share @tursiops opinion that you should use a continuous strap on these things. Really, SW should consider providing a continuous strap. (And yes, check their nuts too! :wink: )

While I agree that this shouldn't have happened, I think referring to SW's "poor workmanship" is a little much. The quality of their products and their level of customer service are legendary.

I also share @tursiops opinion that you should use a continuous strap on these things. Really, SW should consider providing a continuous strap. (And yes, check their nuts too! :wink: )
Well it is backed up by all of he lost Teric reports!:poke: Or not.
It’s to bad there aren’t some little tools supplied and like a spare lug pin/screw! Oh wait.

They maybe should come with some thread locker but that’s easy to do and probably a better way to go with this as a suggestion that people go check their screws.

The strap of the Teric is sold as fit for purpose. To suggest it isn't and needs replacement implies the entire item is of unmerchandisable quality.

It is equally ludicrous to suggest a Teric owner must test the lug screws before every dive. Such an onerous procedure would trigger a global recall.

The unit is only as strong as its weakest link. Be that materials or construction or process there is a failure here.

Is there an issue with the material of the lug? Does it suffer temperature expansion within too small a range? Is 24°C water warm enough to loosen a lug screw that is tight at factory temperature 17°C? Both lug screws were found to be loose. What is not yet known is why.

We don't know the stats on lost Terics. I'm available as witness in any claim against Shearwater for a lost Teric.

+1 for thread lock, NATO and ZULU, and bungee pucks.

It was her birthday present. The vacation would be ruined if she climbed back onboard without it.

It was her birthday present. The vacation would be ruined if she climbed back onboard without it.

Good thing you caught it then.

Same thing happened to my girlfriend's. Luckily it was not lost, the strap was just barely hanging on. Im not sure why it happens, as I have a Garmin with screw in lugs that I do not take off, and have never had a screw back out, so it never crossed my mind to see if the lugs were tight. I have since purchased a Teric, and immediately replaced the band with a Nato strap (and tightened the lugs).

The strap of the Teric is sold as fit for purpose. To suggest it isn't and needs replacement implies the entire item is of unmerchandisable quality..

Yup. I had a fog lamp bulb die on my almost new Toyota 4Runner. I don't know how they can sell this vehicle. There should be a worldwide recall.

Henry, I understand you're disappointed with your new toy. However, you caught the problem, no harm was done, and more importantly, you brought it to the attention of the greater dive community.

However, to go on slagging Shearwater for a tiny oversight by someone in the back room who perhaps failed to properly torque a little nut, is over the top.

There was another post here the other day from someone that had the DIN connector almost fall out of his Apeks reg. THAT could potentially have had devastating consequences. What we all learned from that is to check our gear before we use it. You would be wise to follow that same advice. My guess is that now that you have snugged up the nut, you'll check it periodically as you should have been doing anyway. In that entire thread, I don't recall the OP even hint that Apeks made lousy regulators.

If you're truly convinced that SW makes crappy products, I suggest you list your almost new Teric in the classifieds here and I can guarantee you you'll get almost what you paid for it by the end of the day.

Back
Top Bottom