HOG D3 - zenith 2nd stage

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mattspiral8

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Does anyone here use the HOG D3-zenith 2nd stage setup?
Is this reg set up ok for recreation diving and are Hog Regs easy to service? Cant really find much info about the regulators.

works fine for all sorts of diving, servicing is straightforward and there is a class you can take to service the regs yourself. downside is no dealers in vegas, closest is out at lake havasu, but mailing it out is an option if you don't go diy.

I've been happy with mine. I have D1 & D3 firsts and Zenith & Classic seconds. I'm collecting service equipment to take the class.

Service on the HOGs is almost identical to Deep 6 and from what I understand, certain Apeks units. That may increase service options depending on shop policies.

I've bought mine under some screaming holiday deals from Divers Supply and Piranha Dive Manufacturing. If I was starting over and buying at typical "street" pricing Deep 6 would probably be my choice by a slight margain for the improved coatings, ring/seat materials, performance tweaks, and included service kits.

Does anyone here use the HOG D3-zenith 2nd stage setup?
Is this reg set up ok for recreation diving and are Hog Regs easy to service? Cant really find much info about the regulators.

What info are you looking for? HOG/EDGE has been discussed extensively on SB. They have a website. They have become essentially the house brand for Divers Supply. SB member @Jim Lapenta is a dealer.

I have 5 D3 Zenith sets personally and have sold over 100.
The reg is reliable, easy to service with a little care, and I also teach the class to do so. I just had students two weeks ago. One drove from Baltimore and one flew in from Boston for the service class.
I am going to also state that I prefer the Classic Second to the Zenith. Just my personal preference because I dive cold water often with heavy gloves and like the purge cover better.
It's also a few bucks less than a Zenith.
I've been diving HOG since 2008 and teaching the class since 2012. Servicing my own since I started diving them.
They are similar to the Deep 6 with cosmetic and a few internal differences that are not going to be noticed by the majority of divers who use them. Including tech divers if they are set up right by the dealer.
I can say that with certainty because I also teach the Deep 6 course and I wrote the Deep 6 service manual.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom