Red or Yellow or Orange DSMBs

Which color offers best "overall" visibility.

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why restart an 8-year-old thread to post this?

...because he/she had something to post, found an appropriate old thread and added to it. Otherwise someone would have said "There's already a thread on this, why didn't you look for it"

To be honest I'm not sure which way scubaboard likes....post to an old thread or start a new one.

...because he/she had something to post, found an appropriate old thread and added to it. Otherwise someone would have said "There's already a thread on this, why didn't you look for it"

To be honest I'm not sure which way scubaboard likes....post to an old thread or start a new one.
I think it is fine to resurrect a thread but some people prefer to start a new one of the old one.

Usually the arguments against are:
  • The thread has already moved on since there wasn’t any reply
  • None of the people who were in the previous conversation need to continue this discussion
  • Sometimes the new posts will not take in account the previous pages if the thread is very long and you’ll end up discussing the same points again and again
  • And lastly thread necromancy is a forbidden dark scuba art ?
Personally I think it is an issue left to the mods and the rules of each forum.

You always have the option to create a new post and link the old thread if you are a scared of causing anger

Double-sided orange to mark my location.

Double-sided yellow to alert the surface that I need support.

I don’t like the dual color SMBs as they can lead to assumptions by folks on the surface.

Loop on top of both to add a lightweight strobe that hangs and flashes against the SOLAS tape.

Reflective initials added to both DSMBs from Mark Emery’s www.divesigns.com .

I think the important part is the crew knows what your intentions are with each color and understands not to freak out if your “support required“ color comes up. I brief the skipper to make his way over and read the note. The thing that always concerns me is if the crew were to come over and start trying to haul me up like a fish. Perhaps everywhere else y’all have really experienced skippers like Wookie who can telepathically sense what the problem is without even having to read the note. But on the southern Red Sea we have some country bumpkin crew members that, while well-intentioned, could probably easily cause further harm.

Worked as first mate on a dive boat for a few years. Orange easiest to sight by far. Then pink/red. Fluorescent yellow or green? Almost impossible - fades in sunlight - I hated those. Get a six footer. Any chop and a 3 or 4 footer turns into a toothpick.

Because the poster missed the post date? Has happened to me a couple times.

How do you miss an initial post date? There's an immediate warning about resuscitating an old thread... :diver1:

Big and orange.

I think it is fine to resurrect a thread but some people prefer to start a new one of the old one.
I think It's OK to restart an old thread if there's a specific reason to do so, but I'd at least mention that I'm doing so and and why I'm doing so. It can be quite confusing to readers otherwise. I only realized this was an old thread when I followed a link that no longer exists.

Also plenty of more recent threads on this topic, for example:
Safety Sausage what color is recommended yellow or orange
SMB Colors
DSMB colour

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom