Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So I'm bummed, booked my airfare to Cabo a month ago and got a great special that gave me first class there and economy on the way back for 49k points. Now I could get first class both ways for 39k points. Can't change it without paying a $100 change fee. Oh well, still going

So I'm bummed, booked my airfare to Cabo a month ago and got a great special that gave me first class there and economy on the way back for 49k points. Now I could get first class both ways for 39k points. Can't change it without paying a $100 change fee. Oh well, still going
That doesn't sound quite right. I thought all of the major airlines had waived change fees for the month?

Even if true, I'd do it to. Spend $100 to keep 10K miles and travel first class on return all the way across the continent. How much would you save on luggage fees in first?

I used to think that airline miles had depreciated too much to even bother with as airlines would try to route me thru Miami on the way to Coz when I tried to use the lowest amount of miles or other such flight plans that I did not find appealing. Maybe my personal experiences aren't enough to use for such opinions or maybe I didn't shop right before, but I've found them to be more usable lately. When considering spending money or miles, I tend to value the miles around $10 per 1,000. That's still a major devaluation from 30 yeas ago when I valued them at $20/K, and those dollars were worth a lot more then, but at least they seem more usable than a couple of years ago.

I was headed to Seattle next week on JetBlue Mint....I cnx the trip today and JetBlue gave me a hard time with a refund. First they were going to charge me $200 fee and credit the remaining $700....we were on chat and in all CAPS, I asked....

dude, have you read the news relating to Seattle? Got a full refund:)

That doesn't sound quite right. I thought all of the major airlines had waived change fees for the month?

The announcement I saw from United waived fees for travel booked in March following the announcement. The policy was to induce new bookings not bail you out from already existing bookings. And it doesn't sound like he wants to change his travel dates and destinations, just rebook at a lower cost.

Even if true, I'd do it to. Spend $100 to keep 10K miles and travel first class on return all the way across the continent. How much would you save on luggage fees in first?

I used to think that airline miles had depreciated too much to even bother with as airlines would try to route me thru Miami on the way to Coz when I tried to use the lowest amount of miles or other such flight plans that I did not find appealing. Maybe my personal experiences aren't enough to use for such opinions or maybe I didn't shop right before, but I've found them to be more usable lately. When considering spending money or miles, I tend to value the miles around $10 per 1,000. That's still a major devaluation from 30 yeas ago when I valued them at $20/K, and those dollars were worth a lot more then, but at least they seem more usable than a couple of years ago.
American only waived change fees for flights purchased from March 1st on. I didn't think it made sense either, but it is what it is. From my understanding I would about break even, but my bigger concern is if I refund and rebuy then my trip insurance won't cover if my trip gets cancelled. I bought the trip insurance before the coronavirus issue was as widespread as it currently is. I verified with diveassure that it would be covered if there is an issue that arises, because I purchased flight and insurance before it spread beyond China. If I change that now, probably not covered. Given that all around it's over 5k for the solo trip, I will suck up the economy return flight

I charge about 25k a month on average, so I bounce around on cards to get the bonuses. This one happened to be American airlines. I've taken 4 trips since I got the bonus miles, and it didn't make sense to use the miles on those trips. This one worked out for me with reasonable travel time and decent departure times that met my needs. I normally agree that airline points are typically not the best bang for the buck. I prefer cards that allow me rewards in travel credits, this lets me book whoever I want from whatever source I want and I get to use "miles" to pay for it. The Barclay world class elite travel card is a great one with good travel benefits.

I've been watching American for trips from STL to KOA (Kona, HI) for July and they are not budging. With the announcement of someone in HI testing positive for COVID19 maybe it will? But the price I'm seeing is the one I've seen for months ($619).

The flight loads out of DFW seem light

The flight loads out of DFW seem light
There are some news stories about airlines flying underloaded planes to Europe mostly so that they won't lose their slots, others about wide bodies being used on more domestic flights - not clear on why, SXSW was canceled in Austin and their insurance didn't cover it. I'm sure that many bought nonrefundable plane tickets and hotel rooms for SXSW as they were certain they were going, but now and just losing as well. I guess the travel related damages are going to get worse, along with broadscale business damages as well medical woes.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom