Check my shopping cart - BP/W harness components

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yes, to echo @lowwall , I think it's fair to say that the vast majority of divers--and that means divers who wear at least a thin wetsuit--won't perceive any benefit from padding, and those who buy padded gear will usually end up unpadding it. Divers with medical conditions or who have long walks to/from the water are the only major exceptions I can think of.

@loosenit2 what tank, fins, and exposure protection are you using? How much, and where are the trim weights? How much other weights are you using and where?

Steel FP, light fins: Accels or ARAs, old 2/1 shorty or new 3/2 full suit -- both surfing kind, AL80. 2x DGX trim pockets on top camband with anything from 2x2 to 2x4. I am noticeably heavy with the latter, and I could be light-ish at SS w/ the former, depending. I could dive without any, but would have to hold on to the line at SS.

I am leg-heavy, those few pounds up high make it easy to e.g. hang upside-down when aiming a shot etc.

Note, the DGX webbing is the most stiff webbing I have ever used, and if you ever end up with sliding D rings you are doing to have trouble.

Can you explain the thinking on your D ring layout?

Ditch the shoulder pads.

I'll take any extra padding between the harness and my drysuit I can get. They are cheap, worst case them end up in his gear bin and given away to somebody who needs them one day.

Note, the DGX webbing is the most stiff webbing I have ever used, and if you ever end up with sliding D rings you are doing to have trouble.

Can you explain the thinking on your D ring layout?

I was thinking one left torso bent ring, two right torso bent rings, and then a L/R straight rings on the waist near the hips. I clip off my octo holder and a retractor with the TG-6 on my right side, and then spool/DSBM on my left hip. Other two are extras for a muck stick when not in use or ... whatever the next gear would be. :)

I was thinking one left torso bent ring, two right torso bent rings, and then a L/R straight rings on the waist near the hips. I clip off my octo holder and a retractor with the TG-6 on my right side, and then spool/DSBM on my left hip. Other two are extras for a muck stick when not in use or ... whatever the next gear would be. :)

Anybreasonnyou don't swap to a long hose set up, and kind of follow the semi traditional DIR method?

He's a fairly new diver. The long hose isn't taught most places and it's not the kind of thing most people will pick up on their own. Nor is it clearly a superior set-up for open water rec diving.

I will put in a plug for the necklaced backup reg though. I just tried it this year after 16 years of a conventional set-up for the octo and I was immediately comfortable with it. It's nice to have it immediately at hand if you need it and even nicer not to have to wrangle it during and between dives. I should have made the change a long time ago. FWIW, I switched my old octo hose to the primary so it's a reasonable length for donation.

You nailed it @lowwall - I'm not averse to going to a long hose setup, however, it's also not a priority. With my wife and kids, we're just vacation divers who'll clock a couple dozen dives a year at best and were trained with the traditional setup. If I were to switch to a primary donate, not only do I have to learn that new setup, but so does my buddy. Not that I don't trust my wife to pick up the idea...but...well...I'll stop there. :wink:

You nailed it @lowwall - I'm not averse to going to a long hose setup, however, it's also not a priority. With my wife and kids, we're just vacation divers who'll clock a couple dozen dives a year at best and were trained with the traditional setup. If I were to switch to a primary donate, not only do I have to learn that new setup, but so does my buddy. Not that I don't trust my wife to pick up the idea...but...well...I'll stop there. :wink:

That’s pretty much what my wife and I did. But it’s far from necessary.

Steel FP, light fins: Accels or ARAs, old 2/1 shorty or new 3/2 full suit -- both surfing kind, AL80. 2x DGX trim pockets on top camband with anything from 2x2 to 2x4. I am noticeably heavy with the latter, and I could be light-ish at SS w/ the former, depending. I could dive without any, but would have to hold on to the line at SS.

I am leg-heavy, those few pounds up high make it easy to e.g. hang upside-down when aiming a shot etc.

can you reach and manipulate your valve when diving? the freedom plate allows you to mount a tank really far down compared to a normal backplate, and that can adversely affect trim. The freedom plates shape also has a lot more mass down at your hips which can compound that if you are naturally leg heavy. If you can't reach the valve, the tank is too low.

Back
Top Bottom