To buy or not to buy new regs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My thoughts are you need a new dive shop-not new regulators.

You might find more information in the "Regulator Forum." This is the "Introductions and Greets Forum."

Thank you for your time

I'm not an expert on Brands. I bought my Mares reg used when certified in 2005. Have no idea how many dives it saw before me. In the last 15 years it has seen 804. I have had it worked up every 2 years or so (used to be every year until someone on SB said 2 years is OK).

Thank you for your time

I’d get a second opinion.

I’ve been diving Sherwood since 1980, including the one I bought back then. Now that particular regs life is limited because some parts are no longer available, the newer regs shouldn't have that issue.

If you want a new reg, I won’t say no, but don’t let scare tactics by a salesman make up your mind.

And if you do pick up a new reg, the old one will make a good backup. My 1980 Magnum is now on my pony bottle.

Thank you for your time

Sherwoods are pretty much bullet proof and kits are widely available for all but the oldest ones. Also, before taking them in, find out if they even need service. Ask the shop what the recommended intermediate pressure is for them and what the cracking pressure is reading on the magnahelic or in the sink.
Here is a sherwood manual. https://www.historicaldivingequipme.../73382381/srb5100_srb5300_srb5700_srb5900.pdf

Your reg may not even need service. Most can go two years or more if they are well cared for. There is no need to rebuild a reg if it's working fine.
Shops rely on divers not knowing how to check the IP and cracking to see that they are charging them for work that never needed done.
My customers send me regs that often only require an inspection and cleaning. Not a total rebuild. When they do need it, I tell them they do and why. I tell them what the IP is telling me and what the cracking pressure indicates.
Find a shop or tech that will let you watch them test it and explain why they think it needs to be rebuilt. If they hesitate, go somewhere else.

I just wanted to add another explanation.
Parts are most likely going to be available for decades. Most parts in a repair and overhaul kit are nothing but O-rings, seals and the seats. Seat designs don't change often (if at all) and O-rings and seals are just standard commercial and military spec sized stuff thrown into a "kit". The shop is likely complaining because they need to go to another source for the Sherwood kits. They can't "piggy-back" your parts with another customer's kit to save on shipping or ease ordering so they complain to you to spend $500 for a new regulator so they can save 5 minutes ordering the kits. Heck, Sherwood is NOT out of business.
To me that is despicable or them being lazy or not smart.
Maybe surprise them and take a buddy's new regulator to them and say, "Hey, I took your advise and purchased a new regulator", and see what they say? (OK, maybe don't do that.)
I agree with the rest about getting a cheap intermediate pressure (IP) gauge and learn to do a quick test on your regulator periodically.
Yikes...the IP gauges are $10 and the deluxe version is $25. (links below)

Compact IP Gauge (PSI and BAR) | Dive Gear Express®
Deluxe IP Gauge (PSI and BAR) | Dive Gear Express®

Service kits for them are still available, but hard parts like springs and orifices are not. If the 1st stage needs a new spring you'll probably be SOL on that stage. No reason you couldnt just replace the 1st stage if you really like the 2nd and octo though.

Back
Top Bottom