Honeymoon Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LimitedSlip7

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Getting married September 5th and the fiancee wants to honeymoon in Hawaii. I've just started to research it and I think we are going to take 2 weeks off (maybe a few extra days if needed). I'm thinking about splitting it between a week on the big island (Kona area?) and a week on Maui, with a day or two in California doing some shore dives or Channel Island dives (coming from Ohio). Time frame would be September/October. Are the whales worth waiting until November?

Definitely want to do the Kona Manta dive, probably Molokini crater too. Other than that, I'm assuming we will do a few boat dives and shore dives. I'm thinking a few dives each morning then exploring the rest of the day.

Any recommendations on other must-dives? Shore dive locations, boat dives, etc. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks!
Nathan

I'm on Oahu so not much help where you are headed, but I will say November is pretty early for whales. We have really only begun to see whales consistently each day over the last 6 weeks this year

Aloha Nathan,
Congrats to you and your soon-to-be wife!

if you’re stopping in California, you might like to do a night or two on Catalina Island and dive in their park. Idk about the other islands but I did a dive trip to Catalina when I was living in LA and I lived it. Catalina is fun on land, and the water much clearer than mainland shore, they have a “park” with various things from man-made structure to kelp forest to Giant Sea Bass, all from shore in a protected area with ladder access.

The manta dive has the potential to be incredible. I’ve done it twice: one really good and one on a spiritual level.

The Lanai cathedrals (from Maui, Lahaina area) are awesome. I haven’t done Carthaginian or whatever the Maui wreck is called but really want to. I think they only dive it 1 or 2 days a week. If you dive Molokini make sure you go to “back side.”

I like the resorts in Ka’anapali (Maui) and you can shore dive Black Rock right behind them. Lanai and Carthaginian boat dives accessible from there, and Molokini (from Kihei) is only 45min drive away. Maui has a little more to do than Kona, in my opinion, but it depends what you like. Big Island in general has plenty to do but it’s too much driving for me to cover it all in a trip.

Sounds like a great trip! I'll second @Aloha Joe's suggestion of the Catalina dive park for your California diving. I've done several guided dives with Catalina Divers Supply and recommend them to everyone. The town of Avalon is adorable and romantic; I proposed to my husband there. However, be warned that everything on the island is expensive (no more so than in Hawaii, but more than some people realize) and all or nearly all the hotels have a 2-night minimum during the high season when you'll be there.

The day boats going out to the other Channel Islands (which are mostly uninhabited) tend to be a bit rustic. I like them for my regular local dives, but it's not the sort of experience I envision for a honeymoon. You guys might be more rugged and adventurous. I'm happy to answer questions if you want to know more.

Well I've been holding off on booking anything due to the Rona but I need to get this planned soon. It looks like everything is opening up soon but I think Oct will still be a gamble with the possibility of a 2nd wave. I'm wondering if it's possible to get trip insurance that will cover another shut down if it happens.

What is the best way to get from Kona to Maui? Is there still a ferry or would we have to fly? Are there any puddle jumpers that fly at low altitude so we don't have to worry about our dives the day before?

Thanks!

No ferries between the islands. Mokulele is the small puddle jumper type airline, though Hawaiian and SWA probably don't fly too high as the distance is quite close. There are those who do skip the 24 hour no fly time.

The big challenge as of now is the 14 day quarantine required on all flights. When you land you have to give your lodging info and it is then verified. Once in your lodging you may not leave, even to go get take out. HPD has arrested at least some who violated the orders.

We are starting to lesson our restrictions, but who knows when they will be eliminated.

Honestly, you probably want to put a pin in this trip. I know lots of people who took their honeymoon a year or more after getting married, and none of them had a pandemic to blame it on. Maybe think about a long weekend at a nice local hotel as a mini-moon right after the wedding, and look forward to 2021 for the big Hawaii/ California trip. This fall is a huge question mark, but one thing I think I can say with a high degree of certainty is that things will not be back to normal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom