Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hi Guys,

I have been struggling with the question, where I should do my (PADI) Dive Master. My first thought was Khao Lak in Thailand, but I was advised against this by some experienced diving instructors. They said that Thailand, no matter where you get your certification, has a bad reputation and it is very difficult to get a job afterwards. Is that correct?

Since I intend to work with the "work & holiday visa" as a DM in Australia, the Gili islands (party island of the Australians) would not be a good choice as well, would it? Do Australian dive shop owners generally don't like it when you have completed your training in Asia?

Alternatively, I would try my luck in Europe. I think it's more admitted worldwide. In addition, as I have seen, there is a higher amount of internships, like I'd work the costs off after training and thereby gaining more experience, due to the fact I stay longer on site.

I hope that someone can help me out.

Thanks in advance

Sebastian

If you plan to live and work in Australia, I would get the training in Australia.
Learn the local dive spots, change in season etc. and you will get to know the different dive shops and if you work hard, can service regs, clean the boat etc, there is a good chance you will get hired.
Just showing up with a DM cert?.....you still need to learn the local industry.
That's how I became an OWSI in Boracay, Philippines in 1999.

Thailand, no matter where you get your certification, has a bad reputation and it is very difficult to get a job afterwards. Is that correct?

both incorrect: there are some dive centers with teaching standards more strict than your average european "PADI diamond 5 star golden VIP platinum IDC", I know at least two of them.
And it is very easy to get a job in Thailand. But you will earn nothing (Koh Tao) to close to nothing (other regions).

If you plan to live and work in Australia, I would get the training in Australia.
this. Learn in the same conditions (or worse) as where you plan to work later.
Just imagine two divemasters, one has an experience of diving in zero-vis quarries, rivers with lots of debris, cold water, strong currents in the open ocean; and another has only been diving in 30°C calm water with 30m+ visibility. Which of them has a higher chance to get employed?

considering what is going on these days i would hold off on any plans. the travel industry is taking a major hit and it will take awhile to recover. tough to get a job when there are no tourists

You may want to take a look at Marine Conservation Philippines.

About MCP - Marine Conservation Philippines

Basically you are an environmental volunteer for 6 or 8 weeks and get two PADI courses included, yes you can take dive master there. Cost is $US450 per week and covers all room and board (shared accommodations) diving and training, only additional is the PADI fees to get your cards.

Not for everyone, as it is not resort and tourist targeted diving but not that expensive all things considered and you get to do good for the environment as well. If your goal is to become an instructor/guide at a tourist dive shop then most likely not for you but if you want to look at the environmental protection segment of diving, perhaps get a job with an NGO doing this sort of work, it would be a good place to look into.

Back
Top Bottom