Aqua Safari Pier Accident

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Here's a before pic
upload_2020-3-10_10-1-58.png

What terrible news! I have not heard anything about it yet - it was not in our local news.
This is extremely sad news. Prayers to his family.

Tragic freak accident and loss. Polo has been a member of the AS family for many years.

Jen, I heard about it in MN, not only from my crew but it was all over CZM Facebook groups too.

Tragic freak accident and loss. Polo has been a member of the AS family for many years.

Jen, I heard about it in MN, not only from my crew but it was all over CZM Facebook groups too.
Yes. yesterday, a lot of women in Mexico were not on Facebook and social media. I didn't see it until this morning.
So very sorry to hear the news.

Deeply saddened to learn of Polo's passing. I was in Coz this past February--we enjoyed a wonderful night dive--Polo led our group.

I am at a loss for words.

That's horrible news. My condolences to their family.

If there is any fundraising started to help with their family's costs please share it here.
I, too, would appreciate learning about fundraising to help Polo's family.

I never dived with AS or met Polo but this feels like a kick in the nuts when I think about a guy who spent his life working hard to raise a family and in an instant with one freak accident, it's all over. I hope it was quick and painless.

My wife and I have been at Cozumel Palace for the last two weeks and I have been diving with Aqua Safari. This past Sunday, there was a freak accident. One of the dive masters, Paulo was loading equipment on one of the boats in moderate to high wind and waves, in any case, one of the boats listed into the concrete arch on the peer, knocking it over, killing Paulo. I Dove on Saturday and Monday, all dives on Sunday, (the day of the accident) were canceled. Everyone was back to work the next day. Nothing was said beyond asking us to observe a moment of silence in honor of Paulo on our first dive Monday Morning. I'm told that he was married with children. I'd only met him once prior to the accident, but I know he was well liked and held in very high esteem by the divers that frequent this resort. I thought that you'd all like to know.

One final thought, In my mind, This was a tragedy, but also a freak accident and the result of an unnecessary, unstable embellishment on the dock. The arch was there for looks only. I've dove in higher winds and rougher water many times in Cozumel.

For those of you who knew and loved him, I'm told there are many, I am sorry for your loss.

Aaron

My wife witness the Barracuda arch fall a few years back . It happened as the Dive Paradise boat was pushed into the pier by a wave. Since that was considered a freak accident the A/S pier accident should be called incompetent government. The civil authorities did come to Barracuda and took pictures, inspected the debris and even cut off the protruding rebar. It was very obvious that the rebar and concrete had deteriorated and was rusted. All arches on the Island should have been at least inspected or been ordered taken down after the Barracuda incidence. I hope now they will act. ALL structures on the water should be inspected and the Owners should take it upon themselves to remove anything that could break off and possibly cause an accident.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom