Mixing 1st / 2nd Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

HKGuns

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a MK25 first stage and an A700 second stage. The A700 is heavy so I picked up a Z3 which feels lighter in my mouth and seems to breathe just as well on the surface.

Are there any potential issues in using the Z3 second with my MK25?

Better to ask than assume.

So I should take the MK25 as well when I have the Z3 serviced?

So I should take the MK25 as well when I have the Z3 serviced?[/QUOTE

HKGuns,
Yes, proper set up requires the 1st stage and paired 2nd/Octo.
Generally its recommended not to mix manufactures but that's a different can of worms and I don't have the knowledge to say it for sure and some companies have different "brands".

Technically, its not a problem, if its an issue or not depends on your repair shop. If they service both brands, no problem but if they only service one of the brands it pretty much requires you to take both when you are getting the second stage serviced. And the first should be done first. If your service shop only services one brand, I would suggest you decide which second stage you prefer and then get a matching brand first stage. It will make your life a lot easier.

You may as well pick up and Atomic first and sell the Mk25/700 as Herman suggested, you can find a Z, M or B first easy enough depending on the need or desire for a swivel (M or B have a swivel) and you can seal the Atomics.

Hi
Are we not complicating things here?!
Of course you can match brand (in 98% of the cases at least).
Why it is not "recommended"?
So to change a SP second by another SP second is "safer" than to change a SP second by an Atomic (or whatever) one?
It is just about adjustment.
The fact that both stages are of the same brand won't make the adjustement automatic :)
And anyway, this adjustement can be done in a few minutes by anybody.

Hi
Are we not complicating things here?!
Of course you can match brand (in 98% of the cases at least).
Why it is not "recommended"?
So to change a SP second by another SP second is "safer" than to change a SP second by an Atomic (or whatever) one?
It is just about adjustment.
The fact that both stages are of the same brand won't make the adjustement automatic :)
And anyway, this adjustement can be done in a few minutes by anybody.

It's not recommended because most shops do not service multiple brands, especially if it's from different parent companies. In this case Scubapro and Huish since they have to stay current on both brands as technicians, and maintain dealership status with both brands as well.
If your shop only services one brand, then you have to send the first off to be serviced, then send the second off to be serviced, and when you send the second off, that technician has to be willing to adjust it to the first stage they didn't service. Some shops are willing, many are not. In either instance, it's a potential source of major inconvenience for a diver which is why it is typically not recommended. Has nothing to do with safety, it's all about the hassle. Now if your dive shop is a dealer for both brands, or you use someone like AirTech, Dive Right in Scuba, Scubatoys, etc. to do your service work, then it doesn't matter, but if you're using a typical LDS, the odds of them being set up to service both are pretty small.

Are there those that are suggesting that depending on whos second you are using. the secondary IP range will fall out of spec for teh 1st stage setting. Are there secondaries that are so narrow that they will not perform well if outside a 5psi range that is different than the 10 psi range of another brand. Am I wrong to be thinking that a wirst stage IP is like 130-150. It would seam to me that secondaries should all work between 135 and 145. Then itf there were a 5 psi window for a socondary. is there any real consequence in its performance if it is a little outside its BEST p[perating range. BEST and functional so often can not be sensed by the user. I have swaped sescondaies many times over teh years and have noticed no difference. This logic also suggests that you can not change a IE s600 for another s600 if the tuning is that critical for its unique differences.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom