Ginnie Springs Bottled water update

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

has anyone seen the television commercials? :popcorn:

Nestle wants to bottle water from Florida's Ginnie Springs -- for free
Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by Merlyne, Aug 3, 2019.

There was a previous long discussion of this on SB. There are some intelligent arguments on both sides.

I don't see the difference between this and oil companies, logging companies, mining companies, wind farms or any other use of a public resource. If it's not sustainable or not environmentally responsible I can see the outcry. Not that they couldn't buy some land nearby and pump it out of the aquifer instead of a spring. The average water use by just the new arrivals in Florida every year is likely in excess of what is pumped for bottled water.

Nestle wants to bottle water from Florida's Ginnie Springs -- for free
Discussion in 'Cave Diving' started by Merlyne, Aug 3, 2019.

There was a previous long discussion of this on SB. There are some intelligent arguments on both sides.

Hence the use of the word Update in the thread title. Snark, snark aside, yes you are correct that both sides have valid points.

I don't see the difference between this and oil companies, logging companies, mining companies, wind farms or any other use of a public resource. If it's not sustainable or not environmentally responsible I can see the outcry. Not that they couldn't buy some land nearby and pump it out of the aquifer instead of a spring. The average water use by just the new arrivals in Florida every year is likely in excess of what is pumped for bottled water.

I am not saying that resources should be Locked Up and never used, but I do believe that the state share of this being $115 seems to be the short end of the stick. As someone that has dove the Springs in Florida for several decades and seen the decline of water quality, it does sadden me. The state does seem to be spending quite a bit of money in lawsuits with other states over water right, just odd that they then turn around and give it away.

The argument in Nestle’s defense in the other thread, as I recall, is that: (1) the amount they take may seem like a lot but it’s a drop in the bucket compared with the amount agriculture takes, and (2) Nestle is motivated to keep water quality high.

I'm not a fan of more water being removed from the springs. Nestle isn't the real problem though. They are just the latest. A Lot More water is pulled for agriculture and mining operations. Those both remove large amounts of water then leach all kinds of bad things back into the aquifer. Fresh water supplies need to be respected and protected, not given away and abused.

I'm not a fan of more water being removed from the springs. Nestle isn't the real problem though. They are just the latest. A Lot More water is pulled for agriculture and mining operations. Those both remove large amounts of water then leach all kinds of bad things back into the aquifer. Fresh water supplies need to be respected and protected, not given away and abused.

Agree, but you have to start somewhere.

The argument in Nestle’s defense in the other thread, as I recall, is that: (1) the amount they take may seem like a lot but it’s a drop in the bucket compared with the amount agriculture takes, and (2) Nestle is motivated to keep water quality high.

I am not sure that I want to put water quality into the hands of the private sector. While I believe that Nestle would want to keep water quality high as long as it suited them, when it no longer is a positive issue what happens then.....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom