ATX DS4 first stage blow out!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Actually, Mares routinely includes Loctite 242 blue thread locker use on yoke threads, and Loctite 222 purple thread locker on DIN threads. So it’s not just a make-do hack.
It is a make-do hack if it is not prescribed by the manufacturer.

What's amazing is that it came so fully unscrewed before being detected. Had it been even a little loose on prior dives there would have been a ton of bubbling.

FWIW, as long as you don't lose the sintered filter, the o-ring that retains it is nothing special. Same as LP port on the first stage.

It is a make-do hack if it is not prescribed by the manufacturer.
Agree fully. Just pointing out it is not something dreamed up out of nowhere by the shop suggesting it.

For me the laziest, easiest, most reassuring thing to do is simply check/tighten the hex retainers every dive just before attaching. You can't check them with your fingers, so you may as well just check them with tightening wrench.

That's 26 N-m, quite a bit more than the 20 N-m quoted in post #7.
I just looked at the 2012 version of the manual and it says 20 Nm. Maybe there was a tech bulletin or a later version somewhere with a higher torque value?

Torque Schmork....they still become loose....carry the proper size hex wrench and check.

I just looked at the 2012 version of the manual and it says 20 Nm. Maybe there was a tech bulletin or a later version somewhere with a higher torque value?
The 26 N-m quoted was for a Deep 6, not an Apeks.
He's also missing part #10....the plastic saddle, unless he can glue the old one back together!

The 26 N-m quoted was for a Deep 6, not an Apeks.
He's also missing part #10....the plastic saddle, unless he can glue the old one back together!
If you have a DS4 handy maybe you can test @jgttrey 's theory that it should hiss or bubble a bit first. Just back it off a quarter turn, turn the tank back on and repeat and then let us know the results. I'm too scared to try it after the OP's experience.

I promise you it will.

It's just an o-ring that goes around the circumference of the filter, lightly holding it in place, and then face seals on the body of the first stage - exactly like your DIN fitting does on the tank valve.

If you back it off, it will leak - significantly - just as it would if you don't screw your first stage DIN fitting into the valve all the way.

Back
Top Bottom