Air fare bargains are appearing

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was flying Delta but I seriously don't do it for perks. Theae are people who will be serving us our food, literally coming to us when we ring a bell, and cleaning those nasty ass bathrooms. They deserve some appreciation. Also, I do it because that surprised smile when you hand over chocolates is worth a bazillion times more.

Those are the best reasons to do this! But after my last flight with American, where the gate agent gave me such a hard freakin time because my bag was a little too big to go into their metal box, I'm not inclined to kindness. She was definitely power-tripping that morning. But maybe that's just what she needed in that moment. (I took out my regulator and it went in fine - and on the way back the reg was in there and nobody hassled me about my carry-on).

Those are the best reasons to do this! But after my last flight with American, where the gate agent gave me such a hard freakin time because my bag was a little too big to go into their metal box, I'm not inclined to kindness. She was definitely power-tripping that morning. But maybe that's just what she needed in that moment. (I took out my regulator and it went in fine - and on the way back the reg was in there and nobody hassled me about my carry-on).

It's always strange how people act, and for what reasons/triggers. When we were traveling on Iceland Air, the agent at the ticket counter in either Iceland or Amsterdam (I can't remember which) was hassling everyone about their carry-on bag size. Everyone but us. We got up to the counter and there wasn't one peep about putting our bags in the metal bin for a check. I'm pretty sure our bags were bigger than all the people she was checking, too. I remember it being a little surreal. We weren't rude or nice, just trying to get to our flight.

Don't forget Sun Country June - Aug. $400 w/o bags

But after my last flight with American, where the gate agent gave me such a hard freakin time because my bag was a little too big to go into their metal box, I'm not inclined to kindness.

Hi Kimela,

I have thanked gate agents who have asked pax to test their bag in that stand. They have asked me to do that and mine fits--it is guaranteed by Tumi to fit.

When people bring a large suitcase, a large backpack, a personal item, and their dog, I get a little upset. That stuff always seems to spill over onto me.

"A little too big" no bid deal. I can understand your frustration.

I wonder if a two pound box of Seas Candy would get an upgrade. I would think MMs with peanuts would work. Who does not like those? A can of Almond Roca?

Have you found any ticket deals to Kailua-Kona?

cheers,
m

We weren't rude or nice, just trying to get to our flight.

How were you dressed? Did you look like Tony Soprano? Maybe you look like Brad Pitt. Yeah something reverse-triggered the agent.

I don't want to jinx myself but I guess being 6'-4" and 250 pounds I tend to make most bags look carry-on size.

I am 6' and 185 lbs. I can barely fit in coach seats. I don't know how you do it. The worst was a flight on a Scarebus A340 to Tahiti. 8 hours in that darn tiny seat, each way. It sucked.

With COVID-19, we should be getting "Po Man's First Class" more often. I love having the entire coach row to myself. On one trip from Frankfurt to SAC, on the Dulles to SAC leg I got this upgrade. The plane was full except for my row. I stretched out and slept all the way home. Nobody asked to have 1/3 of my first class row.

These are people who will be serving us our food, literally coming to us when we ring a bell, and cleaning those nasty ass bathrooms. They deserve some appreciation.

I have always tried to be nice to flight attendants. It can't be an easy job on the good days. I always thank them on the way out of the AC. They deserve more, and a small token of appreciation is nice. I will remember this.

See ya in Roatan. 3 months to go.

cheers,
m

Hi Kimela,

I have thanked gate agents who have asked pax to test their bag in that stand. They have asked me to do that and mine fits--it is guaranteed by Tumi to fit.

When people bring a large suitcase, a large backpack, a personal item, and their dog, I get a little upset. That stuff always seems to spill over onto me.

"A little too big" no bid deal. I can understand your frustration.

I wonder if a two pound box of Seas Candy would get an upgrade. I would think MMs with peanuts would work. Who does not like those? A can of Almond Roca?

Have you found any ticket deals to Kailua-Kona?

cheers,
m

I keep getting $619! I check every day - several times a day! And you can't get there via Southwest - you have to do a two-trip check, STL to LAX (or other) and then to KOA (and stay a night).

My new rule for myself is "if I can't heft it to go in the overhead then it's too big" - and I don't have the upper body strength I used to. I just got one of those ebags that is a backpack that opens sideways. It should NEVER be questioned in terms of fit and I'll be able to heft it unless I fill it with gold bars (dreaming!).

Next trip I'm going to Costco to see what premium chocolates they have. :)

I don't want to jinx myself but I guess being 6'-4" and 250 pounds I tend to make most bags look carry-on size.

I wonder if the gate agent takes a look at you and thinks "poor guy - he's going to be so uncomfortable on the flight" and looks at me and thinks "she can fit anywhere - let's put her in the middle seat!" LOL!!! Someday I'm going to rebel and demand the aisle or window (but not while I'm flying with husband as he needs the extra room). I do feel bad for anyone over 5' 10" - it's got to be so uncomfortable.

How were you dressed? Did you look like Tony Soprano? Maybe you look like Brad Pitt. Yeah something reverse-triggered the agent.

6' 4", 255 lbs, not all muscle by any stretch of the imagination, but not obese like the BMI charts would tell me. Hell, when I was working out six days a week, I still would have been considered obese by those stupid charts. I haven't dressed up for travel since I was eight years old. Maybe she was attracted to my wife....

I have always tried to be nice to flight attendants. It can't be an easy job on the good days. I always thank them on the way out of the AC. They deserve more, and a small token of appreciation is nice. I will remember this.

I've been quoted by friends for recommending them to watch how a person treats the help at a restaurant. If they don't acknowledge their server with a thank you for their service, they are probably an *******.

When we were traveling on Iceland Air, the agent at the ticket counter in either Iceland or Amsterdam (I can't remember which) was hassling everyone about their carry-on bag size. Everyone but us. We got up to the counter and there wasn't one peep about putting our bags in the metal bin for a check. I'm pretty sure our bags were bigger than all the people she was checking, too. I remember it being a little surreal. We weren't rude or nice, just trying to get to our flight.

6' 4", 255 lbs, not all muscle by any stretch of the imagination, but not obese like the BMI charts would tell me. Hell, when I was working out six days a week, I still would have been considered obese by those stupid charts. I haven't dressed up for travel since I was eight years old.
She feared that you might eat her.

Back
Top Bottom