Mixing 1st / 2nd Stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

KKGuns

If you have a good relationship with the shop and they would like to have your 1st stage to set up/adjust your reg and are willing to do it (mixing brands) then what's the harm?

I have to say I am completely confused now by the diversity of responses.
I assume the confusion is because of the difference between what you asked, what people thought you wanted to know, and what they wanted to make sure you knew even if had not asked it.
What you asked: "Are there any potential issues in using the Z3 second with my MK25?"
My answer and several others was No, so long as the IPs are relatively well-matched, which is what I and several others thought you were asking about.
But some assumed the issue had to do with LDSs and getting service, and they correctly pointed out that few LDSs service all brands, so might not be willing to deal with a SP 1st and an Atomic second, hence Yes, there is an issue in service in general as well as specifically with getting the IPs matched.
And then a few jumped in with don't worry about it, it doesn't really matter, DIY to solve all problems, and my guess is if they'd thought of it they'd have thrown in a little PADI-hate too...

So what DID you want to know? The technical issue of mixing brands, or the logistics issue of dealing with mixed brands?

I see now, thanks for helping me clarify.

My LDS will service both SP and Atomic. They serviced the SP MK10/Z1 I currently use on my pony, which I hope never to use.

I have a fantastic relationship with the LDS owner. He is a great guy. I’m volunteering to help him with a local high school who need divers at the bottom of a pool to set stuff up. I figure time in the water never hurts.

This is my primary, which prompted the question, from a safety perspective.

Help?

I see now, thanks for helping me clarify.

My LDS will service both SP and Atomic and they serviced the SP MK10/Z1 I currently use on my pony, which I hope never to use.

I have a fantastic relationship with the LDS owner. He is a great guy and I’m volunteering to help him with a local high school who need divers at the bottom of a pool to set stuff up. I figure time in the water helps.

This is my primary, which prompted the question, from a safety perspective.

Help?

If they service both, then ask them nicely to tune them together. Also if you have an IP gauge and both first stages are set within a couple psi, it's close enough and you can go back and forth freely.
You can also look at several videos on here on how to tune second stages yourself if you feel comfortable doing that.

it's not necessarily ignorant shops. They have dealership agreements that limit what they are allowed to service, and many of them include restrictions that prohibit mixing and matching regulators.
It is very much not like putting x and y brand tires on a car, that would be something like hoses. There isn't a good vehicle analogy for this situation.

Based on you spelling it tyres, I'll assume you're from the UK and in that case mixing them may well be straight up illegal for a shop to do since it would violate the CE ratings. What you do on your own is obviously very different
Your analysis of my linguistic fingerprint may or may not be correct but FYI mixing tires :) is perfecly legal in Europe and as for the CE rating, you would be surprised that it is not always required.

This all makes me want to ask what the normal (most used) IP reqiured for second stages I have always thought it was 125-145.

This all makes me want to ask what the normal (most used) IP reqiured for second stages I have always thought it was 125-145.
Why do you think that might be wrong?

what @tursiops said, why are you second guessing your range? Just because the spec is that wide, doesn't mean that they will work at their specific tuning point across that entire range.

KWS,
I’ve seen it range from 130-155 on ScubaPro, Apeks, Agualung and Sherwood so far with the courses and rebuilds I’ve done. I don’t know what Atomic uses. Diving cold water we set to the lower / mid point, usually target 135 on full service.

Why do you think that might be wrong?
zNo I dont i have always expected all regs to have an IP in a certain range and that secondaries were designed to work in that range also. critical tweeking should not be needed forthe most part.
what @tursiops said, why are you second guessing your range? Just because the spec is that wide, doesn't mean that they will work at their specific tuning point across that entire range.

no but the issue of whether they will not work is the way I am looking at it. The OP I was reading it was considering with using another secondary and was concerned if it would work safely at all. In my view you can use anything with about anything and it will work Ok if you want it wor work to perfection then you take it in and have it tweeked to be a super performer.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom