Disassembling doubles for hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Because they make their money by selling gear to wealthy rec divers and their kids and taking them places like Tahiti. They have instructors who can do tech training (I guess), but it's definitely not the line of business they promote.

Because we have more money than Bezos and we don't need your money?

Disassemble, put in the manifold plugs.

Refill with whip.

Take in for hydro/vip fills.

Use tanks as singles once.

Reassemble them as doubles and refill with whip.

Take to be refilled.

That's just what I might have to do. Thanks!. Obviously, they need to be completely drained before disassembly, correct?

Take the $200 they wanted to charge you and take a PSI vip class and do your own. It's the best money you never gave them.

Because we have more money than Bezos and we don't need your money?

I guess $25 for assembly/disassembly is not worth their while...

Also, it might be that the owner (who is a nice guy most of the time, I'll give him that) genuinely believes that doubles in this area is a dead end. That I'll use them once or twice a year, on a dive where I could've just rented a 120... It could very well be true. I'm not looking to be a regular at the Doria.

Breaking down doubles is easy and saves you $15-20.

Breaking them down is easy. Putting them back together properly is less so, and you run the risk of (a) damaging threads, (b) having a stressed manifold and in worst case (c) potentially, have the manifold "let go" under pressure.

If a person has not had some proper instruction/training/tutoring in how to this, I strongly urge the OP to let the shop stick them together. $15 is a paltry sum to pretty-much eliminate the (small) possibility of a catastrophic failure at depth.

Amazing. My LDS charges $0 for disassembly/reassembly for doubles. All part of customer service when doing VIP or Hydro. We have a LOT of tech divers. Maybe this is why.

It's not just the $25, this time, it's about customer service. It's the second set of doubles you might buy, or the second computer. Now it's 4 hydro, 4 vips, air fills, dry suit, etc.

Breaking them down is easy. Putting them back together properly is less so, and you run the risk of (a) damaging threads, (b) having a stressed manifold and in worst case (c) potentially, have the manifold "let go" under pressure.

If a person has not had some proper instruction/training/tutoring in how to this, I strongly urge the OP to let the shop stick them together. $15 is a paltry sum to pretty-much eliminate the (small) possibility of a catastrophic failure at depth.

Well, it's a staggering sum of $200 at his shop, but in understand what you are saying. There is plenty of good videos out there to guide him through a proper assembl .

Different shops will have different price points obviously. When my tanks need hydros, I take them to one shop that does hydros on site. I drop my tanks off, and come back a week later. They've been hydroed, visualled, reassembled and filled with the gas of my choice. Easy peasy.

Back
Top Bottom