What's in your bag, travel tips & tricks.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree - keep it cheap and light. Expensive holdalls with heavy quality canvas and fastenings can weigh a ton and give you a major strain as you heft them into the rack and try and force them into the required shape. I use bubble wrap for any fragile items because it is light, waterproof and it can be wrapped around something - padded pockets in holdalls don't do that. There are some good pack-in-a-pocket rucksacks around which might do the trick.

The North Face Base Camp Duffel in small. Dimensions are 20X12X12 but can cram into any space you need if you don't pack it full. Waterproof fabric, super durable, and comes in black or bright colors for visibility. Warranty on zippers and stitching. I have their larger ones and wheeled versions and all have lasted the test of time - Mine are going on almost 14 years with regular use. Another option is the Patagonia Black Hole Duffel. Similar concept and material. 19X10X10.

Aruba Airlines has some funky carry-on limits. 19.6" x 13.7" x 9" and 17# weight. I was going bat-$h1t-crazy trying to figure out how to get my stuff from Bon to Aruba. Then I found this - soft sided, meets the size limits (even has compression straps to diminish thickness), and I can pack everything that I need to snorkel plus my dive computer, camera stuff, laptop, and book. I might even be able to tuck in my reg. This thing is really cool. Packs about as much as a regular carry-on, has a handle on the side and top, and has backpack straps that can be stowed in a back compartment. The only loss is the wheels (which are wasted length) and telescopic handle (don't need without wheels). I love it and it was pretty inexpensive. Using this I will only have a checked bag and this one for carry-on. Won't need a personal item.

81joDcCBO%2BL._SL1500_.jpg

Aruba Airlines has some funky carry-on limits. 19.6" x 13.7" x 9" and 17# weight.
slightly less funky when expressed in metric. I've seen bags like that before but what is the brand/model of that one, I can't make it out from the pic?

a must - a dry bag for your survival kit should you need to evacuate fast. Passport, money, meds and other important essentials.

Dry bag for protection against rain and flooding. No swimming. Any bag or pouch will do also in an emergency.

For me -- I tend to go make-upless on vaca. (its a vaca after all). But my tops picks would be

1. sunscreen 50-80spf
2 after sun lotion (something that will cool me off after being in the sun)
3. I would have to include ear plugs also
4. ipod for listening to music
5. a GOOD conditioning shampoo (like sap moss from Aveda) plus a good conditioner to go with it
6. a "Sammy" (for those of us that were ever competition swimmers this is a must have ) The Sammy® Cool 'N Dry®! They are excellent for drying off
7. rubber flip flops (I never ever get into a shower without them)
8. SUNGLASSES
9. battery box (charger)
10. easy to pack clothing. this is not a fashion show, I dress to be cool and comfortable but stylish
11. some sort of bug repellant.
12. save a dive kit.....!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

oh and a dry bag or two (great for being on the boat) and packing anything that is still wet when you leave

@outofofficebrb -- amazon got the better of me this year too along with my LDS --

Clothes pegs - a few. It's amazing what you can do with a clothes peg.

Back
Top Bottom