Women and Reef Hooks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Personally I would not leave hardware on the reef. @Komodo, on some busy days, over 50 people will dive on a site and hook in. I have a new method that works with divers that might decide to hold on to me. I use a small hand reel with about 13 m of line. I attach my hook to the end of the rope with a double-ender. The real is attached to my BP/W. I gently place the hook on a dead piece of rock (e.g., rock) and spool out a some line and inflate my wing. Since I am higher that my group, it works well and I can watch everyone. my personal 2cents.

Don't be worried. I'm not strong and I could do it easily after the first time. Currents were ripping in Maldives.

Hook in is fun once you're used to it. The LOBs I dived with asked people's experience with using a hook and dive guides were usually there to help.

The previous posts pretty much covered most techniques. My personal preference when it comes to unhook is to dump air (so I'm back to neutral) and swim down a little bit. Once the rope is loose, I can usually unhook just by wiggling the rope. I find it easier especially with long rope. Or am I just lazy? :D

Current is where the big stuff is. Most of the areas for "hooking in" are in rocky areas - as stated earlier. It is an incredible way to get some spectacular shots. It leaves both hands free. In Palau I picked up a reef hook that was built by a guide on a live aboard. Not sure if he is still there. His name is Hector. The reef hook hooked to two places on your BCB with brass clips and then the hook you would hook where you wanted it. Before the dive there is much discussion on all of this. What you do is have the reef hook clipped onto your BCD and then the rope stuffed into your wet suit with the hook hooked onto your collar. Works well. The Dive Guides will usually make the rounds to check on everyone that is hooked in. Keep you head straight into the current always. It is not for everyone and it is your choice to do it - you can do dives away from these currents but this is where the big stuff usually hangs out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom