Blowing off Steam

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@ RyanT - all I've got to say is...that's pretty ******. I had wondered why the US Women Engineering Society were somewhat "voracious" - I can see why now. I just assumed in 12 years things would have changed. The reason I was asked to run the program was to address the gender imbalance in engineering - we had the EU women taking great strides forward as we did here. It's not unusual to see women in sciences, engineering and trades doing fly in fly out to oil rigs now. Although I'm no longer lecturing that still saddens me to hear that. Send them down here!!

@ Erik - Yup, pretty much so :wink:

@Wingy, indeed! When I discuss this topic, I usually start my rant with something like, "And you'd think here in the 21st century we wouldn't be discussing such things, but..."

I've only been to Australia once and it was a great experience, clearly I need to go back. It sounds like you're doing things right!

The day I met Merry she was getting beaten down by waves on a rocky shoreline. I ran and grabbed my camera. :)
My buddies had already gone to help her and I was on a hill too far away to help. I sometimes grab her fins after she climbs the ladder but she takes care of herself.
I had a female dive buddy ask for help once under water. Her weightbelt had somehow slipped off and she was holding onto a boulder with her back to it. I put her weightbelt back around her waist and was buckling it with my head between her legs. She grabbed the back of my head and both of our masks flooded as we were laughing so hard.

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

The thread has been moderated to remove the off topic posts and those that referred to them. The trolling was also removed. Some posts that fall in a gray area were left but may be removed after further review. This is a valuable forum and a valuable thread. I hope our moderation efforts illustrate our commitment to providing a protected venue for discussion of these sometimes sensitive issues. Please read these rules when posting in this forum. They are included below.

Welcome to the Women's Perspectives Forum!

This is a forum where our female members are welcome to talk about ideas, concerns, and anything surrounding diving that their male counterparts - and some women as well - may not experience or care about. While participation in this forum by any of our members is not excluded, we ask that everyone recognize that this forum is a NO TROLL ZONE devoted to subjects that primarily concern female divers. As such, we ask that all participation be confined to civil discussion of the posted topics without questioning the need for the topic or forum itself.

Please note that offtopic or posts that do not conform to the spirit of this particular forum may be removed with or without notice.

If you have any questions at all about whether a post is appropriate here, please PM a member of the moderating team first and they will be happy to screen it for you.

Your cooperation is appreciated.

Your experience will show in the water. Strength is not always the issue - leverage and height probably come into play more. Shore diving with waves is a very difficult situation for anyone - those that survive probably hit the waves right. Usually I hire a private guide cuz I have a big camera I don't want to damage. My guide carries everything out and in the water while I have my fins and weight belt. Yes, and sometimes I still stumble. Asking for help does not mean you are weak - it means you are fully aware of what you want to do and what you don't want to do. Guys will be guys and there is nothing that is going to change - if ya think they are being rude tell them but if they are trying to be helpful thank them.

I just watched the game show, To Tell the Truth. They had 2 women on who were twins who work for NASA. When they introduced themselves, they said, " ... and we are proud to be Latina engineers!" My first thought was why can't they just call themselves engineers?

The next game show I watched, the contestant introduced herself as a "proud military wife." In the past, women married to military men considered themselves wives and mothers the same as women married to doctors, accountants, salesmen, etc.

Our society seems to feel a greater need to be special or show how inclusive we are based upon gender, race, sexual orientation, etc., which ironically, seems to create a greater divide.

Pride is gender neutral. I opened the door at a YMCA for a woman carrying a Bonsai tree as a Christmas gift. She replied, "What? You don't think I could do that myself?" Turned out she was an aerobics instructor and the ensuing argument found us dating.

My buddy, a GUE instructor, was climbing a hill in his doubles. I was wearing street clothes and put my hand under his tanks to take some weight off. He said, "Trace, a couple years ago I would have kicked your @$$ for helping me. Now, I'll just say, 'Thanks, buddy.'"

The most macho male diver of them all, Mike Nelson, played by Lloyd Bridges in Sea Hunt had Zale Parry as an instructor. Zale is a woman.

Sorry. I have no idea what you are trying to convey. I do think the original question was directed towards women.

Sorry. I have no idea what you are trying to convey. I do think the original question was directed towards women.

This thread is from 2 years ago or more and Trace Malinowski hasn't posted in quite awhile.

Please just let this go, OK?

Good words lowflyer - "not because women are inferior, but out of respect". same goes for anything - holding he door, helping with something heavy, or even picking something up - especially for the elderly - man or woman. It is pretty much in the days of long ago. Now people don't want to touch dirty things on the ground or other peoples stuff is germie!!! Holding doors open and people, man or woman walk through on their cell phones and don't even nood a thank you. Common respect is down the toilet. People are too busy to be kind and thoughtful. They feel we should not be polite and that it gets in their way. Crazy - like lowflyer, I feel very guilty if I don't assist when I can always. I am so grateful when someone assists me. It is called being aware of your surroundings.

To the OP.

The guy that talked to you that way is not indicative of normal “men” behavior. If I would have been there and saw you fall, I would have asked you if your ok, then asked if I can help you. Your gender, your weight, your race has no bearing on a man being polite. If I asked you and you said no to my help, I would simply have moved on.

If your a young lady and get hit on all the time from guys, I can understand your frustration. All I’m trying to say, is not all guys that help or trying to help are not trying to hit on you, cop a feel or try to do anything sexual. Yep some guys do but I would say the majority of us guys are genuinely just trying to help their fellow diver out.

It is sad that this happened.

Glenn

Back
Top Bottom