PADI Scuba Diving Magazine Really Insults Its Readers' Intelligence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hey, it's written using lots of pictures and short words in short sentences, socalled ad-speak. Anybody who is almost getting through 2nd grade shouldn't have a problem understanding it. Since PADI has already dredged the barrel often enough, they think that appealing to the sub-normal will unleash a new crop of customers. The problem remains though, sub-normal humans seldom are in the top 10% income wise or are not permitted to maintain their own affairs without a court ordered helper.

Michael

Just received the PADI Scuba Diving Magazine's annual "Gear Guide" issue, and it's beyond shameless in its promotion of paid sponsors. Yes, I know, Scuba Diving magazine has long plugged its paid sponsors all over its pages, even before PADI took it over. But now it's just a joke, and an insult to the magazine's readers.

The section on watches reviews 13 different watches -- and 12 of them are Seiko Prospex models, some as expensive as $6,000, none of them cheaper than $400. Really? You're going to tell me that you RECOMMEND a $6,000 SEIKO, and boast that it's accurate to within 15 seconds a month as if that's some incredible technological triumph??

Similarly, the section on imaging mentions only one camera other than SeaLife. And there is an entire two-page spread that lists nothing but SeaLife lights and lenses. I have nothing against SeaLife, but really? Your "Scuba Lab" never heard of Olympus Tough cameras?

PADI should just call this what it is: a special advertising supplement. And please drop the "Scuba Lab testing" BS.

Letter to the editor time

The problem remains though, sub-normal humans seldom are in the top 10% income wise or are not permitted to maintain their own affairs without a court ordered helper.
Michael
You are too harsh here, sorry. First of all, sub-normals are a significant percentage of human population. In terms of percentiles, they are, by definition, the 1/3 less intelligent.
Most of these people conduct a perfectly satisfying life, get a permanent job, have a reasonable wage, and have money enough for purchasing products.
It is perhaps the 1/3 of population well above average which struggle to maintain a permanent position, and often need to emigrate (at least from here in Italy), as the work market does not satisfy their (high) expectations.
If the situation was not as I described, advertisements were not tailored to that 1/3 of "subnormals", as they would not return in any sale.
I warmly suggest to you (and to everyone) reading a classic book, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: https://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-World-Aldous-Huxley/dp/0060850523

Just received the PADI Scuba Diving Magazine's annual "Gear Guide" issue, and it's beyond shameless in its promotion of paid sponsors. Yes, I know, Scuba Diving magazine has long plugged its paid sponsors all over its pages, even before PADI took it over. But now it's just a joke, and an insult to the magazine's readers.

The section on watches reviews 13 different watches -- and 12 of them are Seiko Prospex models, some as expensive as $6,000, none of them cheaper than $400. Really? You're going to tell me that you RECOMMEND a $6,000 SEIKO, and boast that it's accurate to within 15 seconds a month as if that's some incredible technological triumph??

Similarly, the section on imaging mentions only one camera other than SeaLife. And there is an entire two-page spread that lists nothing but SeaLife lights and lenses. I have nothing against SeaLife, but really? Your "Scuba Lab" never heard of Olympus Tough cameras?

PADI should just call this what it is: a special advertising supplement. And please drop the "Scuba Lab testing" BS.

I agree with the infomercial format complains... however, 15s a month IS a technological triumph if you take into account the type of watch it is...

You are too harsh here, sorry. First of all, sub-normals are a significant percentage of human population. In terms of percentiles, they are, by definition, the 1/3 less intelligent.
Most of these people conduct a perfectly satisfying life, get a permanent job, have a reasonable wage, and have money enough for purchasing products.
It is perhaps the 1/3 of population well above average which struggle to maintain a permanent position, and often need to emigrate (at least from here in Italy), as the work market does not satisfy their (high) expectations.
If the situation was not as I described, advertisements were not tailored to that 1/3 of "subnormals", as they would not return in any sale.
I warmly suggest to you (and to everyone) reading a classic book, Brave New World by Aldous Huxley: https://www.amazon.com/Brave-New-World-Aldous-Huxley/dp/0060850523

Just downloaded Brave New World and will read it tonight, although I'm pretty sure that I couldn't have missed it 45 or 50 years ago back when I was reading 1984, Farenheit 451, 2001 A Space Odessy and the other end of individual thought sci-fiction books. What did I learn back then - The Government is always sure that they know best what is best for the people, and will manipulate the flow of information to support that platform, no matter how much damage they create.
I still can't support that position, pay off all my bills every month and recently bought a new house with cash. I don't owe anyone anything and probably have a horrible credit score because of that.
So what, at least I can sleep at night without having to worry about what the Corona Virus will do to me financially.

Michael

(pure sarcastic comment) - You have to look at the bright side of this. It provides a great amount of stuff on the used market......

Anybody know where the volume knob is so I can turn down that font?
Done in my quote, Michael has to do it in his message...

Done in my quote, Michael has to do it in his message...

No I'll leave my response in it's bold font size, otherwise the PADI bigwigs will be unable to either read or understand it. They are way past the point of being able to understand somebody politely telling them that it is dog poo, as long as it isn't smeared across their faces they just don't notice.

Michael.

Call me unoptimistic but I’m not sure your bold font in a SCUBA forum is going to inspire PADI’s strategic planning group to launch an organizational makeover of their culture, goals and methods.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom