Recommend a warm semi-drysuit for snorkeling?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

"Semi-dry" = wetsuit with good seals.

Alternately, I have several "semi-dry" drysuits in my basement he can have cheap. :)
What size and type? I'm 197 pounds, 5'10.5", waist 41", stomach 46".

Could you not orally inflate the drysuit prior to getting in the water? I’m assuming that you won’t be wearing weights to dive down, as you would be super buoyant in either the drysuit with a bit of air as well as a thick semi dry.

Looks interesting. Could i wear a Lycra suit under it to make it easy to put on?

Thanks so much for asking. The suit is easy to put on. That is one of the big advantages of a freedive suit.

These suits have a smooth rubber interior. This material slides extremely well over the skin when a proper suit lubricant is used. The suit slides on very easily, but it takes a minute or two to adequately prepare the suit with lubricant.

So the short answer is: "no". A lycra suit would not be necessary nor benefical.

This video should assist in understanding about how to don this type of suit.

I'm not almost 7 feet tall! (Oops!) I'm under 6 feet, but getting old sucks because I've put on weight.

Still probably not the right size, I am about 5'7", its a ML size, but probably would be too short for you. I do recommend it though if you see one used or on closeout, the SolAfx was a lot warmer than my 7mm Bare wetsuit.

Could you not orally inflate the drysuit prior to getting in the water? I’m assuming that you won’t be wearing weights to dive down, as you would be super buoyant in either the drysuit with a bit of air as well as a thick semi dry.
There isn't a mechanism to orally inflate, but when you zip up there will be a fair amount of air trapped in the suit, which you would normally crouch with the valve open to squeeze out before getting in the water. If you weren't hooking up a tank and planned to stay on the surface, I suppose you could just not do that, or be a little less thorough to keep some air inside. It's an interesting idea.

In OP's situation, though, I might go with one of the Mako suits. The folks I know who have them seem to really like them. Getting in and out is probably not going to be easy in any type of semi-dry, and the other drawback of freediving suits--compression at depth--wouldn't be an issue for snorkeling.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom