New DPV - Dive Xtras

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

For anyone else interested in the 960, B&H currently has one used with foam for 196& shipped. I would have jumped on that in a heartbeat. sigh

Just a heads up for other neophytes who might not have expected this: based on a post elsewhere, it occurred to me to check whether my compass (the standard kayak compass) is affected by the motor. So I sat down on the floor with my Blacktip and found that if the compass is slid up front, or is in the middle of the tube, and I turn on the motor, the needle doesn't seem to move, but if it's back toward the back of the tube, it does.

Now I have to figure out why my DPV (kayak) compass, my EON Core compass, my iPhone compass, and my backpacking compass, all seem to have minor disagreements on direction. It does seem odd that all of their needles swing when by each other, but not when by a big DPV (albeit one that isn't running).

Found with my kayak compass that if the compass strap is on top of the blacktip cam buckle, it's in a good spot. I started with it all the way forward and the compass would read South until sliding it down to that spot (12aH batts)

_R

Found with my kayak compass that if the compass strap is on top of the blacktip cam buckle, it's in a good spot. I started with it all the way forward and the compass would read South until sliding it down to that spot (12aH batts)

_R

Yes, the steel plate in the front and motor in the back are no-go, but compasses work gloriously in the middle. I use the dive gear express bungee compass. The stock bungee fits around the blacktip.

Apologies if this has already been covered. I think I read all the pages of this thread and don't remember it. But.... CRS....

Anyway...

Dive-X says the BlackTip has a 122 minute runtime at 150fpm, with 12Ah batteries. That is 480 Watt-Hours of power.

They also say the Piranha P1 has a 123 minute runtime at 150fpm with 5Ah batteries. That is 400 W-Hr.

The BT is slightly lighter and it's narrower (so, more streamlined).

Any idea how it's possible that they have the same runtime? It seems like the BT should have a fair bit more runtime. Less efficient motor in the BT? Difference between BT running at 20V and P1 running at 40V (i.e. still boils down to efficiency)?

From the pictures I remember, there are 4 batteries with 5Ah capacity compared to 2 batteries of 12Ah capacity.
Add them up and you are now looking at 20 Ah of capacity compared to 24 Ah of capacity.

Right... That's what I'm saying. They're all 20V.

So, 2 x 12Ah x 20V = 480 W-Hr for the BT.

4 x 5Ah x 20V = 400 W-Hr for the P1.

But, the P1 runs the batteries in a 2S2P config, I think, so it's like it has 2 x 10Ah x 40V. Still 400 W-Hr, though.

Edit: Bad math! I meant to say, the P1 is 2 x 5Ah x 40V, so it’s still 400.

Different motors and different drive trains between the two scooters leads to the difference in efficiency in terms of converting electrical power to thrust.

Right... That's what I'm saying. They're all 20V.

So, 2 x 12Ah x 20V = 480 W-Hr for the BT.

4 x 5Ah x 20V = 400 W-Hr for the P1.

But, the P1 runs the batteries in a 2S2P config, I think, so it's like it has 2 x 10Ah x 40V. Still 400 W-Hr, though.

Edit: Bad math! I meant to say, the P1 is 2 x 5Ah x 40V, so it’s still 400.

I hate to break in on a competitors thread to correct you, but Dewalt only advertises the "20V" batteries in the Americas to supposedly differentiate them from their older 18V NiCad batteries. They are actually 18V packs containing 5 (or 5 parallel groups) of 3.6V cells in series. 5 x 3.6V cell =18V. In Europe and the rest of the world, Dewalt calls them 18V packs because of truth in advertising laws.
DEWALT - Products - Attachments  -  Batteries - XR FLEXVOLT Battery PacksBatteries - XR FLEXVOLT Battery Packs - Home
Same batteries, different labels.

I hate to break in on a competitors thread to correct you, but Dewalt only advertises the "20V" batteries in the Americas to supposedly differentiate them from their older 18V NiCad batteries. They are actually 18V packs containing 5 (or 5 parallel groups) of 3.6V cells in series. 5 x 3.6V cell =18V. In Europe and the rest of the world, Dewalt calls them 18V packs because of truth in advertising laws.
DEWALT - Products - Attachments - Batteries - XR FLEXVOLT Battery PacksBatteries - XR FLEXVOLT Battery Packs - Home
Same batteries, different labels.

But if what you're saying is true, then it would mean that we can't trust marketing! And if one business stretched the truth to make profits, who knows, maybe others might do the same!

Edit: Does this mean your warp cores aren't actual warp cores?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom