PADI Scuba Diving Magazine Really Insults Its Readers' Intelligence

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Call me unoptimistic but I’m not sure your bold font in a SCUBA forum is going to inspire PADI’s strategic planning group to launch an organizational makeover of their culture, goals and methods.
Gotta agree with you, but if everyone did that, we would be in the same mess as our governments are. The people need to make their voices heard! I hope that we can make it work without having to stop drinking tea and marching on citizen soldier/national guard arsenals, as in 1776, but....
Michael

IIRC the Atomic BC1 was their Top Rated BCD. Turns out that AA couldn’t sell them for free unless they tossed in a Ti reg and a LOB trip as a bonus.

No I'll leave my response in it's bold font size, otherwise the PADI bigwigs will be unable to either read or understand it. They are way past the point of being able to understand somebody politely telling them that it is dog poo, as long as it isn't smeared across their faces they just don't notice.

Michael.
Wow, you caught N.FL. redneckism pretty fast.

i thought about writing them but I suspect there is a zero percent chance they’d respond. What they are doing is so patently wrong that I don’t think they’d acknowledge the question, much less provide an honest answer.

Maybe they'll send you a coupon good for a discount on some of the more highly recommended items?

Seems to me they used to say the same thing about Skin Diver magazine, it only praised that which was first a paid advertisement, often in close proximity. Seems quaint now, but the debate over the "mail order" scuba equipment versus "dive shop." There is nothing new under the sun. That said, I really like my Seiko. Been diving with the same one for 35 years. I doubt anyone will run out and buy a$6000 grand Seiko because they saw endorsed by PADI.

Seems to me they used to say the same thing about Skin Diver magazine, it only praised that which was first a paid advertisement, often in close proximity. Seems quaint now, but the debate over the "mail order" scuba equipment versus "dive shop." There is nothing new under the sun. That said, I really like my Seiko. Been diving with the same one for 35 years. I doubt anyone will run out and buy a$6000 grand Seiko because they saw endorsed by PADI.
I didn’t see the article, But at 6k + a spring drive it might still be a Seiko! Not necessarily a Grand Seiko

(Edit for clarification)

I haven't looked at a magazine or used my check book in at least 5 years.

I got nothing against Seiko. My point is that PADI is the most prominent training organization for our beloved pastime, and among their many sins is taking over a magazine with an already crappy history of lack of independence from advertisers, and just tripling down on the shamelesness. Surprised? No. Disappointed? Yes.

It makes perfect sense once you realize PADI is owned by a private equity group. These articles are meant to help the centi-millionaire investors come up with suitable gifts for occasions like a disfavored nephew's graduation.

Back
Top Bottom