Disassembling doubles for hydro

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I really don't understand the shortsightedness of this practice. You can take my $20 or not, plus any other money I won't spend at your store from now on. I think it's crazy, and the shops with these practices should go out of business. They are driving customers away from their shop and away from diving.

What other disposable income business functions this way. I won't sell you balls because you didn't buy your clubs from me?

I really don't understand the shortsightedness of this practice. You can take my $20 or not, plus any other money I won't spend at your store from now on. I think it's crazy, and the shops with these practices should go out of business. They are driving customers away from their shop and away from diving.

What other disposable income business functions this way. I won't sell you balls because you didn't buy your clubs from me?
lol.. good analogy. I've noticed a few things in dealing with this shop that at least gives me a hint of why they are the way they are. I suspect they don't like me much (no surprise there..) because they know I won't be taking any classes, won't be buying any of the limited gear they have in the shop and came in the door with 2 tanks I bought online, but know I can't use unless I can get by their tyrannical VIP policy and somehow walk out of the shop with full tanks. They think they have me over a barrel because only an infinitesimally small number of divers will actually fill their own tanks so they are going to extract as much revenue as possible out of me for this one relatively trivial service. They effectively neutralized the most reasonable workaround (getting PSI certified and doing your own tanks) and even got pretty creative with another one I tried (getting my tanks vipped when I was in FL) by stating that they don't accept VIPs from outside the local area. That one was hysterical and should have had everyone in the shop rolling on the floor laughing, but the problem is that most of their customer base doesn't know any better so doesn't understand how ridiculous the whole situation is.

Was that $200 inclusive?

If so, 2 tanks O2 cleaned, 3 valve service with o2 cleaned, VIP and Hydro on 2 tanks and assembled PROPERLY, isn’t that outrageous.. maybe on the expensive end.

If it’s just to ‘deal with’ doubles, PLUS hydro, VIP, O2 cleaning, then yeah, go to another shop..

_R

I don't think it's inclusive, but I didn't clarify. We were talking on the phone about getting these tanks hydroed, and as a part of the conversation he asked "Are you going to break them down yourself? Because you know, it's about $200 to get them assembled/disassembled". I just said I was going to do it myself.

In the same conversation he said "Well, how many people do you know that dive doubles? That's right, zero, because no one dives doubles around here". And while I do periodically see people on charters with doubles, it is true that none does it through this LDS.

If the going rate for "doubles assemblers" is $200 an hour (figuring 30 minutes assembly/disassembly) I'm surprised more people aren't going into that line of work. Maybe they are worried about the long term prospects with all the sidemounting going on?

That's what the owner told me on the phone. But then again, he goes out of his way to discourage me from using doubles or even thinking about going tech.

S-74...

Depending what you require to be done...a full annual VIP/re-hydro/O2 clean/re-and re...can be a full day process...In the shop...I would have normally performed other work while cylinders were on the tumbler during O2 clean wash...on the dryer...etc...

If you're O2 cleaning...you're O2 cleaning the valves/isolator bar as well...disassemble/inspect/wash/dry/VITON kit/bushings/compression washers/oxygen compatible lube/reassemble...

When doing my own doubles I was disassembling shortly after my arrival in the shop at 0730 hrs...and not refilling the completed doubles set until approx 1700 hrs...doing two sets together may ad only an hour as opposed to doing just one set...

Shops do not make money servicing doubles...money is made with all the other fill-ins plus retail throughout the day...

A lot of times...if the bolt set is scored...a new bolt set/with new hardware has to be made up...we used to keep stock lengths of 5/16'' S/S all-thread rod and fastening hardware in stock...I cut the rods to 6 1/2'' in length which allowed adjustment for most applications...and I used S/S acorn nuts on the outside end of the rods...protected the threads...and the shins...

There is lots involved...it's not a five minute job...and shops whose primary business is single 3AL 80's is the wrong place to have the work performed...a lot of shops do not keep the ''O'' rings for the isolation valve...and fail to realize the right post side is left hand thread...and end up damaging the valve(s) and the isolator bar threads...

Although I never cared for the derogatory term...it's not a job for the typical ''shop monkey''...

W.M...

So back to the question of plugs - what kind of plugs will work with those modular OMS valves that have an outside thread?

My manifold is "captured o-ring" so it screws on on the outside of the valves, rather than the inside: https://thumbs.worthpoint.com/zoom/...lation_1_3a7bf910b323e890c677d458e70606fc.jpg

Will the typical plugs with 2 o-rings on them work with these valves?
@Scuba Cobra provided a link to Pirahna Dive Manufacturing.

Back in Stock! OMS Replacement End Caps! Price is per piece , Piranha Dive Shop |

Will these not work?

I see you’re in MA but if you’re looking for a shop that’s very tech friendly, I’d recommend East Coast Divers. It is out in Brookline so a bit of a hike for you. I’d also talk to MAISI in Milford but I’m not sure if he deals with doubles regularly.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom