Dive sites I will always do again, dive site I will not do again.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am in the camp with those that will never do 1000 Steps (again). A few years ago I carried gear from the upper parking lot down to the water for a woman with physical limitations. Obviously it’s easier to gear up with your tank comfortably on your back while going down the steps, but I had to awkwardly carry her gear separately. Adding to the fun were hoards of clueless tourists unleashed from two freaking tour busses. They were all happily taking selfies while oblivious to the fact they were completely blocking access to the steps! WTH? By the time I geared up and was heading down the steps my knee was screaming “this was a very bad idea”.

FWIW, when diving Something Special we head directly to the concrete mooring to watch the blennies hopping around on top. Then follow the reef straight down 100 feet to the sand to check out the garden eels. We slowly head north and follow the edge of the reef as it gradually rises to around 40 feet and return in the shallows. We have seen octopus hunting during the day and night, several bait balls and a resident green turtle that likes sleeping in the soft coral. Unfortunately diving Something Special to the south is less than great.

I wonder if you could get in at DF Hamlet get out at DF Sand dollar, eat lunch at Breeze and Bites, reload at DF Sandollar and get out at DF Hamlet? It looks to be about 2600 feet.

Would need light current day, but what a way to travel.
We usually stay at Sand Dollar and have dived from The Cliff back to the Sand Dollar Pier several times. The first time we did it, it was due to the current as described in a previous post i.e. We got as far as the small wreck and did not want to turn back into the current. The current was not that strong and we could have swam back into it, it just seemed easier to keep going. We are familiar with the sites along that stretch so just kept going until the Bari Reef exit point.

Since then we have chosen to do it several times. You don't really need current. Even taking your time it is easy to do in about 60 - 70 minutes. We really enjoy the dive and it only takes 10 - 15 minutes to walk back from Sand Dollar to collect the truck.

Bari use to be several times a trip but the last 1 or 2 years, with the construction nearby, it has become almost undivable on days with any wind. Several times we would change our minds after arriving there and watching the dust devils swirling around the site. Twice we decided to give it a go that resulted in mouths/eyes full of grit and gear covered.
On our last visit, October 2019, the Bari parking lot south of Den Laman was either a dry dust bowl, or large mud lakes. We stay at Den Laman, and use the pier :). A wonderful dive, day or night.

Isn't that dive site just south of Bari named Front Porch? The area was a resort which was hit hard by a storm in the late 1990's. The reef, such as it is, is more of a debris field. However, there are all sorts of crannies for critters. At the bottom of the slope, 90 feet or so, is a small tug boat, I think it is the New York? I have seen it on its side and upside down. Again a great critter site.
Just a little further south of the New York and shallower, 40 feet or so, is a big mooring buoy. This is a fantastic thing to dive on at night. Sort of like 5/8ths scale Town Pier, without the hassles.

It's been 6 years since I was last on the island, not for want of trying, but I think there has been some construction on the site. Is this still viable to dive?

Oil Slick is another site with a less discussed feature. Save some gas for your return. The wall to the right of the ladder as you face the shore, and along the shore a bit, has heavily eroded pockets. In some places these go pretty far in. Large fish will laager up there in the daytime. The face of the wall has lots of critters as well. Just stay away from the ladder and the giant stride zone off to the left of it.

Anyone ever dove from the fishing village? We've done a couple of the other unmarked sites along the road (Nukove, Tailormade, Candyland) , just never gotten up to do the village at the end of the road.
I have. It is OK- but nothing to write home about, but it is an easy entry and exit. Better off doing Candyland and/or Nukove in my opinion.

My wife and I stay at Den Laman, dive Bari Reef frequently, I often dive through Buddy's and then back. I have never done a one way. That would be from Cliff through Capt Don's, Buddy's, then Bari. @Trailboss123 knows Cliff a lot better than I do, perhaps he could comment on this plan
Sorry Craig, for some reason, I didn't see this post back in March and am just now reading it. I think a one way from Cliff to Den Laman or vice versa is very doable depending on the profile one chooses and one's air consumption rate-- as well as any current. I like the idea of going one way and surfacing and doing a surface interval at either location, swapping out tanks and then returning. I think I will give that a try next time I am there.

Hi Greg,

Thanks, if/when we get back to Bonaire, I will probably give this a try. As I know the south end so much better than the north, I'll probably try to get my wife to drop me off at Hamlet Oasis Dive Friends and do it one way south, before trying it as a roundtrip. I hope to report on this route someday :)

upload_2020-5-13_14-25-11.png

Isn't that dive site just south of Bari named Front Porch? The area was a resort which was hit hard by a storm in the late 1990's. The reef, such as it is, is more of a debris field. However, there are all sorts of crannies for critters. At the bottom of the slope, 90 feet or so, is a small tug boat, I think it is the New York? I have seen it on its side and upside down. Again a great critter site.
Just a little further south of the New York and shallower, 40 feet or so, is a big mooring buoy. This is a fantastic thing to dive on at night. Sort of like 5/8ths scale Town Pier, without the hassles.

It's been 6 years since I was last on the island, not for want of trying, but I think there has been some construction on the site. Is this still viable to dive?

Oil Slick is another site with a less discussed feature. Save some gas for your return. The wall to the right of the ladder as you face the shore, and along the shore a bit, has heavily eroded pockets. In some places these go pretty far in. Large fish will laager up there in the daytime. The face of the wall has lots of critters as well. Just stay away from the ladder and the giant stride zone off to the left of it.
Yes it is front porch. Yes there is construction but you can still dive. In March construction at 18th palm prevented diving and a rung on the ladder at oil slick was missing making egress difficult. Someone may have more current update

Hi Greg,

Thanks, if/when we get back to Bonaire, I will probably give this a try. As I know the south end so much better than the north, I'll probably try to get my wife to drop me off at Hamlet Oasis Dive Friends and do it one way south, before trying it as a roundtrip. I hope to report on this route someday :)

View attachment 585983
Definitely doable both ways!

Going back north, finding the spot to get out is easy as well. The moment you run into a sewage pipe, you're they're. Can't miss it

Yes it is front porch. Yes there is construction but you can still dive. In March construction at 18th palm prevented diving and a rung on the ladder at oil slick was missing making egress difficult. Someone may have more current update
The rung on the ladder at Oil Slick has been missing since last August. It definitely makes exiting more difficult. I am a bit shocked that it has not been replaced yet. Maybe no one sees it as their responsibility? Stinapa headquarters is within walking distance to Oil Slick, but apparently that sort of thing is not what they concern themselves with?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom