Rebreather Safety Improvement: Progressively opening Oxygen Cylinder Valve Seat

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In a world first OSEL are quite happy to disclose that they are now supplying their rebreather valves with a progressively opening cylinder valve seat.

This is available as a free of cost safety upgrade during annual service for all Apocalypse Type IV CCR owners and can be bought with the NAUTEC valves OSEL supply. The two types OSEL offer in G5/8 and M26 are the T valve and the K valve, with the plastic knob.

For further details see Open Safety Equipment Ltd

To buy contact OSEL at sales@opensafety.eu

Hi Brad, thanks for the info, good to see such a product brought to market.

Are you familiar with the T.O. Preece tank valves? They are an Australian company and produce a valve with a slow turning ratio designed for O2 service. The Prism 1 came with them. Do you know how their gas flow characteristics compare with the new OSEL valve?

Gotta say Brad thats pretty cool. Simple, clever, and serves an important purpose. I love elegant innovations like this. And a 20 year service life makes it even better. How much do they sell for? Have always liked Nautec valves.
And thanks moose_grunt for the AP link. Do you know if the seat has the same service life? I was completely unaware that these exist. Between ccr and b/o I have about (6) o2 bottles and will definately be adding these to all of them. After almost 15 years on the loop I still have a healthy fear and respect for the fire triangle!

I wasn't aware that my P1 had that valve .....not sure why I didn't know that .........

Isn’t this the same thing that AP started doing last fall with their oxygen valves?

Oxygen Rebreather Cylinder Valve | AP Diving

Either way, it’s great to see manufacturers implementing additional safety measures to prevent oxygen fires.
I believe they are a different approach to the same solution.
You can see the OSEL oxygen valve seats, before & after, in close up pg 22 here http://www.deeplife.co.uk/or_files/FMECA_OR_V6_190910.pdf
I haven't seen anyone do a strip down of APDs new valve for direct comparison, but if it stops their units catching fire, I agree with you that it is great to see.

Hi Brad, thanks for the info, good to see such a product brought to market.

Are you familiar with the T.O. Preece tank valves? They are an Australian company and produce a valve with a slow turning ratio designed for O2 service. The Prism 1 came with them. Do you know how their gas flow characteristics compare with the new OSEL valve?
Yes. I'm very much in support of Australian made being included in OSELs product line.
I understand OSEL trialed them when originally looking for a M18 valve for use with carbon dive rated 300bar cylinders. But I haven't tried them personally side by side however and I very much doubt DL looked at comparative gas flows. However, I'd be interested though if that occurs between APDs valve and OSELs.
IIRC they didn't pass BAM trials and weren't taken any further. See BAM Test Report for NAUTECs testing.

Gotta say Brad thats pretty cool. Simple, clever, and serves an important purpose. I love elegant innovations like this. And a 20 year service life makes it even better. How much do they sell for? Have always liked Nautec valves.
And thanks moose_grunt for the AP link. Do you know if the seat has the same service life? I was completely unaware that these exist. Between ccr and b/o I have about (6) o2 bottles and will definately be adding these to all of them. After almost 15 years on the loop I still have a healthy fear and respect for the fire triangle!
I understand depending on valve type roughly Euro90 for a recreational valve. There is no additional cost for the progressive valve seat as OSEL scrapped all stock of the original seat as a safety measure and now only offer the new seat as standard. OSELs black, non-mag ones, are a whole lot more.
But contact sales@opensafety.eu directly for the exact pricing and how to order.

Brad. Here is a pic of the AP seat and valve diagram. 737 destroyed by O2 explosion
Thanks mate.

I thought APD were adopting progressive opening? Seemingly not...

They have always used plastic seats. Which is why they go off so well. Loads of mass to burn. PTFE under HP o2 barbecues nicely. Oxygen fire. Please read

I understand from chatting to some engineers whom have done a bit of testing on rebreather valves that all three seats shown in that picture will fail the BAM.de testing BAM Test Report but I guess time will tell for those that choose to use that particular valve.

The valve looks nice, but your website appears to have a security certificate issue...

Is the seat compatable with other valves, or is it required to replace the entire valve?
Are there any US distributors?

The valve looks nice, but your website appears to have a security certificate issue...

Is the seat compatable with other valves, or is it required to replace the entire valve?
Are there any US distributors?
Thanks for the feedback on the certificate. OSEL just rolled over to a new one but it seems to be having issues.

Unknown if the seat is compatible with other makes of valves. I know OSEL haven't looked into seeing if any others have copied Nautec. Nautec and the other valves OSEL have sold passed the BAM.de HP oxygen testing but seemingly most other makes of valve sold don't.... Brutal perhaps but there is not much leeway either in the outcome.

If you have one of the OSEL Nautec valves then you just need to replace the seat and this will be provided free of cost as part of the safety warranty all OSEL rebreathers have. For recreational users this is being done when units are returned for service. OSEL have scrapped all of the old style of seats. And handwheels but that's a different issue.

OSEL don't have any distributors for the recreational units. You buy direct from OSEL and they ship the whole rebreather or spares to your door. Saves paying a middleman tax. Just hit them up direct on sales@opensafety.eu
I'm sure if someone wanted to put in a bulk order for 50+ valves for those in the thread interested a better price could likely be negotiated.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom